Unusual Early Baseball Glove on eBay

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Unusual Early Baseball Glove on eBay

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 23rd, 2012, 2:36 pm

I hate outing auctions before they're over, but this one may end up hurting someone if it's not discussed as bidding begins to intensify. The auction in question is;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261007291713?ss ... _500wt_922

Very cool mitt, but is is baseball? Looks too handballish to me. A few others who's opinions I highly value also believe it is not related to baseball. Believe me, I'd love for someone to definitively prove it is a baseball mitt by producing a sporting goods catalog advertising its intended purpose, but until then, the question remains because handball GLOVES have surfaced, not handball MITTS. I'd like to hear other opinions.

Additionally, I questioned the seller and his answer alludes to him knowing it's not a baseball mitt. He insists on advertising as such anyway. Here is the response;

"It's a grey area I know, all the hand ball gloves I saw had round padding in the middle and were smaller. I thought I would let the bidders decide and if it's not a baseball glove they could return it if they wanted.
Thanks,
C.1901"

Interestingly, the auction states that returns are not accepted despite his note.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Unusual Early Baseball Glove on eBay

Postby deebro041 » April 23rd, 2012, 3:16 pm

I totally agree with you! I thought it was a handball glove and i could not believe the bidding on it.
Dan
deebro041

Postby vintagebrett » April 23rd, 2012, 3:18 pm

My initial thought was a practice mitt for some sort of sparring game - either boxing or fencing. I'm leaning more towards boxing at the moment. It's a neat looking item and wish it was baseball although the configuration of the front doesn't look like it would help/be practical in catching a ball. If I just saw the back, I would think baseball. As for handball, it seems a bit large for that but the front design is similar to other handball gloves we've seen. I looked through the catalogs I have from 1890 to 1910 and don't see anything that matches up. If you could find the patent for the stitched configuration of the front that would be a big help in determining what it is.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » April 23rd, 2012, 3:48 pm

The back looks very similar to a handball glove, for sure. I have a photo of a Spalding handball glove, which isn't a match, but I know I've seen Ken-Wel handball gloves too. Wish I saved the image.

My opinion is that it's a handball mitt, but I can see it being an early focus pad for boxing. I wouldn't want to be the one wearing it though.
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby bing » April 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

its a bread makers mitt.
bing
bing
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » April 28th, 2012, 2:58 pm

I wonder if it just might be a mitt used in a steel mill
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » April 28th, 2012, 4:06 pm

It's entirely possible it's not sports related at all. We are all focused on sports that we might be trying to pigeonhole it without taking other venues into consideration. It's definitely an interesting piece to research if you have the time.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » April 29th, 2012, 7:24 am

We're used to seeing handball gloves/ mitts with circular sewn palms. This doesn't fit that pattern. Two points to consider.
1. When we discover handball type gloves we find mostly that they fit the right hand, because most players were/are right handed.
2. If you're going to "catch" a ball with this mitt, good luck. It's flat and doesn't lend itself to having a pocket.
It's also ventilated in the back which we've seen on some handball gloves. The "9" stamping may lead us to a clue. Most of the handball gloves, I believe, are listed in the fall and winter catalogs for the manufacturers.
The possibility is also opened up that this might be used for something other than a sport.
softball66

Postby murphusa » April 29th, 2012, 10:11 am

JD posted this at net 54
Attachments
Ken%20Wel%2024.jpg
Ken%20Wel%2024.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 12490 times
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby ScottWNJ » April 29th, 2012, 8:43 pm

It's at $700 with 5 minutes to go. Someone is going to be very unhappy.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » April 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Why would that be. You would think someone would do a little homework before spending $800 on something
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby jpop43 » April 30th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Given all the discussion here and on Net54, particularly's JD's postings, anybody wondering if the "proud" new owner is gonna come out and share his/her find with the hobby community? We've all made mistakes over time, but most happened when this great thing called the internet wasn't yet the "go-to" resource it has become.

On the other hand, maybe this was a SERIOUS hand ball collector...in that case, CONGRATS!
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby deebro041 » February 3rd, 2013, 12:57 pm

There is another pair up for sale right now with 4 hours to go. The bidding isn't as high as the last time yet, i hope it doesn't go much higher for the buyer's sake.
Dan
deebro041

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion