1934 Goldsmith "No Rip Thumb" glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

1934 Goldsmith "No Rip Thumb" glove

Postby mikesglove » April 4th, 2012, 12:28 am

A telltale feature of some Goldsmith gloves in the 1930's-40"s was the "No Rip Thumb" design. I thought the patent was related to the one piece face.
Below is a Harry Craft model.
Below is a Charles Gehringer model.

The catalog description focuses on the one piece face of the gloves and I assumed the patent was related to that feature.
below is a 1934 Goldsmith catalog page
Below is a 1940 catalog page

I could not find any patent in the 1933-34 period that described a one piece face. I then remembered that many early gloves were manufactured with a one piece face and that particular feature was common practice and not patentable.

I looked more closely at the Goldsmith gloves and saw that the one unique feature was a design of the thumb seam protector. Most thumb seam protectors wrap around the base of the thumb but the Goldsmith design called for a tongue of leather sewn at the crotch between the thumb and forefinger. Below is a close-up of that feature.

The patent was easier to narrow down and the "No Rip Thumb" design was patented in 1934 by Alban Richey. Below is a detail of the patent that shows the construction of the tongue of leather(#10) attached to the forefinger seam(#11) and covering the thumb seam at the crotch.
Last edited by mikesglove on April 5th, 2012, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: 1934 Goldsmith "No Rip Thumb" glove

Postby okdoak » April 4th, 2012, 7:30 am

Nicely researched, Mike. Amazing how many small improvements and variations of design there were on baseball gloves. This is from Ken-Wel's 1928 catalog. They did patent their version of a seamless thumb, also.

I want this glove. :)

okdoak

Postby mikesglove » April 4th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I didn't know that KenWel even had a one piece face model. I have seen the 1924 Joseph Kabat patent in passing but never connected it to KenWel. I like the way the thumb seam curves back and dies into the wrist strap instead of the heel. That is good research on your part.
mikesglove

Postby okdoak » April 4th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Thanks Mike. I just came across the catalog recently, otherwise I had no idea that they made one, either. I've never seen a Ken-Wel with that feature. I wonder if they were only made that way for a short time.
okdoak

Postby okdoak » April 11th, 2024, 10:06 pm

Thanks to this old post and JD's website I finally found some info on a glove I've had for a long time. It has a very faint, small W Berger signature, but except for No-Rip Thumb and Patent Applied For, the rest of the stampings are gone. Anyway, it looks like it was made by D&M in 1932. It has the same type thumb seam protector as the Goldsmith.

okdoak

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion