Can someone help me identify this

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Can someone help me identify this

Postby awarsoca » April 28th, 2007, 8:20 am

THis is a glove I picked up to play catch with my son. Its a Nokona, but I haven't been able to find anything about it. The markings in the pocket Say Field Rite. It also has an outline of the state of Texas with the words CHIEF-TAN. Pro Line is stamped on the Pinkie. The model number is hard to read its either NMA or HMA there is a fourth letter/number but I can not tell if it is S, G, 5 or 6.

Thanks in advance.
Clint
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

1960s Nocona

Postby softball66 » April 28th, 2007, 8:58 am

I'm guessing this is a mid to late 1960s Nocona BMAC perhaps? as I remember the coding numbers of that time. The BMAC was the precursor for the better known BM76.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby awarsoca » April 28th, 2007, 10:05 am

THanks. THat first and last letter can definately be a B and a C. The glove looks like its been out in the sun. I've done my best to bresthe some life into the leather. I actually managed to relace the palm and the fingers, to my surprise. This was my first try. I will have to relace the palm again though. I used the standard lace ,and not the HOH lace like i did on the fingers, and I can tell the difference after i condition it. The HOH lace accepts the vaseline and turns a darker color and makes it look more aged. The standard lace still looks brand new.
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 28th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Once you've played with a restored, vintage glove, you'll never want to waste your money on a new one again!

What cleaner or conditioner did you use on the shell of the glove?
BretMan

Postby awarsoca » April 30th, 2007, 10:52 am

Well, I was following the Nokona website and using petroleum jelly. It did a reasonable job. Better suggestions?
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » May 2nd, 2007, 12:23 am

Nokona does recommend petroleum jelly and it will give you good results.

Pure lanolin, for my money, is just a bit better. It seems to improve the color of the leather and it imparts a nice, grippy (not sticky or gooey)texture, almost like it is raising the grain on the surface.

You can find several threads on lanolin here:

Glove Conditioning Threads
BretMan

Postby awarsoca » May 2nd, 2007, 3:56 pm

Heh. I didnt read far enough down in that where to buy lanolin thread. I will see if there is any more in the baby's room at the house (c;
awarsoca
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion