Saggahew Sporting Goods

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Saggahew Sporting Goods

Postby mikesglove » January 31st, 2012, 1:07 am

In 1865, M.W. and W.A. Hanscomb bought out an existing hardware store in Haverhill, MA. They renamed it Hanscomb Brothers and sold agricultural implements, paint, hardware and farm supplies. In 1900 the name of the business was changed to Hanscomb Hardware and was incorporated in 1908 with John Mason as president and Urban Leavitt as treasurer.

Hanscomb Hardware was a very successful regional supplier in the northeast. The Saggahew brand started in the 1900-1910 period and at some point they featured both winter and summer sports catalogs. The 1924 catalog cover below features "HH Quality", referring to the hardware store initials.

The two gloves illustrated at the top of the catalog page feature tunnel loop webs. They were the top of the line models incorporating the 1923 Goldsmith patented tunnel loop webbing. The gloves illustrated below those two in the catalog reverted back to partial and full web models.

A nice grommet web model. A pretty rare glove from a regional sporting goods supplier.
The model number isn't centered on the logo and is possibly missing a digit or two. I could be a model GT400 according to the catalog listings.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Saggahew Sporting Goods

Postby deebro041 » January 31st, 2012, 9:10 am

As always great info Mikesglove! That is a super sweet glove too! Any idea what the value might be?
Dan
deebro041

Postby mikesglove » January 31st, 2012, 1:28 pm

That particular glove recently sold on ebay for a best offer price of $175. The front looks great but the back is not as nice.
mikesglove

Postby MGHProductions » February 4th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Do you happen to have a scan of the bats page of the catalog?
Thanks
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 5th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Matt, my Saggahew catalog was a photocopy someone gave me years ago and it only included the glove section.
mikesglove

Postby MGHProductions » February 6th, 2012, 2:24 am

Thanks for letting me know
Matt
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion