Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Postby okdoak » August 7th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Glad that I finally made it to a National. The amount of memorabilia there was mind boggling. Brett and William's booth was also, and they had a steady supply of customers all the time that I was there. I mean, there I was trying to get in some serious glove talk ("What is this magical place you call Brimfield? And how can I get one of my own?") while being constantly interrupted by some inconsiderate collector who wanted to look at a glove or bat. I was right in the middle of explaining my Zen-like collecting philosophy, too... "Ah, yes, but how much more satisfying is it when the glove chooses the glover? Then the hand and glove are truly as one." Thanks for stifling that yawn, Brett. :)
Seriously, it was great to finally meet William and Brett. Your Huntington finger-tipped glove is amazing, both the leather and your craftsmanship. Enjoyed the glove talk and thanks for the deal that you gave me on a very cool glove, Brett. Baltimore is too far for me, but I hope to make it next time the National comes back to the Midwest. Maybe I'll actually plan ahead for once and get there for the first day. Got to beat RBD there so I can clean house (no way do I believe that "I only bought one glove" spiel) before my fellow collectors and "friends" arrive. Then I'll be the one at Wrigley Field chuckling to myself on Saturday. :roll:
okdoak
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » August 7th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Forgot to mention that there was one unusual glove at another dealer's booth. It was a Spalding lower end model with a double tunnel web and stamped Big Pocket. It had the half liner and flat piping you see on cheaper gloves, but the cool short, indented fingers like a Goldsmith Paul Derringer. Brett had seen it too, and we both agreed that the dealer was asking quite a bit more than it was worth to either one of us. Also was surprised to see a bat that I parted with a few years ago. I found it at an Appleton, WI Play it Again Sports about 15 years ago and it found its way to the National. Small town bat makes good?! :shock:
okdoak

Postby stockbuddy » August 7th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Okdoak,

Did I sell/trade you my stubby finger Paul Derringer glove?? It seems like I traded you for a S and D glove with a cool web? Sounds like you had a lot of fun at Nationals glad you could go and thanks for sharing info. for us that could not attend.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby okdoak » August 7th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Hi Dave,
Yes, I still have your Derringer stubby finger glove. Hey, you forgot the two other gloves I parted with besides the S&D Gehringer. :) This was the first National I could make and I hope to get to one again sometime. The sheer amount of cards and memorabilia is incredible. You gotta check one out if you get a chance!
okdoak

Postby stockbuddy » August 7th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I would like to go to a big national show sometime. I wish my memory worked better but I was surprised I recalled the S and D glove as a part of the trade. :lol: I could not recall if it were just gloves or cash and gloves. :roll:
stockbuddy

Postby GloveCrazy » August 8th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Due to bad planning or schedule conflicts I end up missing more of these than I attend, but it’s not for lack of interest. I’ve had the opportunity to sell at a National as a dealer and attended several as a buyer and humbly offer the following advice to people going for the first time (next year in Baltimore … hope to see you there).

1) Bring money (including your check book) – You’ll see some items that you don’t see available very often, but with how expensive it is for dealers to get their stuff there, pay the dealer fees, etc, they may not be at bargain-basement prices. Brett is one of the exceptions as he brings some cheaper items as well to help get newer collectors started.

2) Spend it – Step up for that special item you've been after for a while. It’s a pretty unique opportunity to be able to see top tier gloves in person and then to be able to buy the one you like most. I’ve regretted not buying special items a heck of a lot more than slightly overpaying for the ones I stepped up on.

3) Don’t hesitate – this isn’t one of those local shows where you can walk away in hope that it will still be there at the end of the day (at a lower price). Quality stuff goes fast. Try haggling a little of course, but don’t let a few bucks get in the way of something you would really regret not getting.

4) Keep looking – The thing I was most surprised about is that good stuff kept coming out throughout the event. It probably is better to be there as early as possible during the week, but don’t think that because something is there on Friday or Saturday it’s because everyone else has passed on it. I walked the floor at least three times a day when I was a dealer and saw new stuff put out quite regularly, even on the weekend.

5) Bring sellers - When I was a dealer I bought a lot of stuff from walk-ins and was open to trading as well. As for etiquette, the dealer should get first shot when showing them something near their booth, and you should refrain from selling to someone else in the vicinity of that booth. Shopping it around to other dealers is absolutely acceptable.

6) Sunday bargains – most of the dealers aren’t local so deals are there to be made on late Saturday and Sunday, especially on heavy or fragile items. Don’t be afraid to make offers.

What else guys?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 8th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Wow, what a fast week. We left Connecticut on Monday, August 1st at 3:30 am and made our way out to Chicago. Taking our time, we stopped at a few antique malls and I introduced William to the awesomeness that is Redmak's in New Buffalo, MI. The van pulled in at about 8 pm central time and we were tired. Tuesday morning dealers are allowed to set up if they pay for that privilege. Having done that last year, we decided to do the same thing again this year. As we are hauling stuff in there were more than a few people circling our bags and bins, waiting to see what treasures we had brought to Chicago. Everyone keeps asking for pictures and we had intentions of taking them but by the time the show opened to the public on Wednesday afternoon, a good majority of our "prime" stuff had already been sold. Sales were brisk pretty much everyday - obviously the serious collectors are in Wednesday and Thursday but our items kept moving Friday and Saturday as well. It was great to see old collecting friends, meet new ones and match up faces with names I've done business with many times before. It seemed that we were constantlly talking to people coming into the booth and that is why the week seemed liked it passed in a nano second - fantastic time.

I didn't get much chance to walk the floor this year. There were other vintage gloves out there but nothing astounding. It was fun checking out Rob's gloves at John Kanuit's booth - he also had the best walk-in glove I saw all week - a very strong signatured J.C. Higgins Wagner glove. The Carrouthers were set up in the same aisle as us, right next to the guy who got arrested for selling fake game used jerseys. They had some nice gloves, baseballs and other vintage equipment. Herbert Thomas and Matt Hart had the market cornered on bats and were frequent shoppers in our booth as well.

My lone pick-up walking the floor was a gorgeous Wilson 648L Rogers Hornsby model to go with my 648S - I'll make sure to take pictures some time this week when I actually have energy to find it in my stuff.

The show is the main event but we were also able to do some other fun things while we were there. On Tuesday night we headed up to to Miller Park in Milwaukee and took in the Cardinals/Brewers game and Thursday night we hit US Cellular for the White Sox/Yankees. Rickybulldog was nice enough to do show and tell with some of his gloves and other vintage equipment. Also got to eat at some prime locations and devour delicious food.

I'll add more thoughts once I get some rest - we left Chicago at 4pm ET yesterday and drove straight through to Connecticut (with a small detour back to Redamaks - William couldn't get enough). Getting up early to go to the flea market yesterday doesn't look so smart in retrospect so now it's time to get some sleep.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » August 8th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I'm sitting here with the best intentions and I'd really love to write a recap, but after very little meaningful sleep since Saturday night, I'm knackered. Before I sign off for the night, I just want to thank everyone for stopping by the booth. It was really nice to meet everyone in person, some of whom I've "known" for ten years or so without ever having met them in person. Thanks again for making this a great National!
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby GloveCrazy » August 9th, 2011, 7:58 pm

vintagebrett wrote:It was fun checking out Rob's gloves at John Kanuit's booth

My stuff was all over the board in terms of value, but I did sell a nice Ruth and D&M Schang. I was really suprised that my Stall & Dean Alexander Speed didn't sell, but was pleased that my crescent fielders gloves didn't sell. All-in-all, my stuff sold a lot better this year than last, but that probably has something to do with John displaying more this year (though am still waiting for Carlton to post his pics). I always second-guess myself about what to send.

Those Wilson 648 Hornsby models are real nice. It's sort of ironic that you have the L (large) and S (small) and the nicest one I own is the M (middle).

I don't know how you could resist from walking the floor more often. That would have been torture for me!
Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » August 10th, 2011, 2:03 am

Day 2:
Day 2 of the National started with Richie coming by and showing off some of his gloves and equipment that he had brought. I showed him my stuff and we tried to work on a deal. THIS is what I enjoyed most about the National, the conversations with other collectors and the trading. Anyway, we struck a deal where I bought a mushroom bat and a couple of gloves. Joel stopped by later and we took the shuttle to the convention center. When we got there we decided to split up because being together wouldn't be in our best interest since we all like the same stuff. So, we parted ways. We searched the convention for a couple of hours and I got to meet up with a lot of great collectors: Paul Montesano, Bob Seedhouse, Herbert Thomas, Carlton Hendricks, Jean Roy, John Graham, Matt Hart, John Kanuit to name a few. It was great to see Paul because he got me hooked in the early years when I started buying gloves from him, Buckleback, and Zrrickkid. Aw the good ole' days.
While I was there, I picked up a nice Thomas wilson complete uniform, a decent looking no brand full web, and a Spalding Heydler ball that eventually Richie and I swapped. All in all it was a good day. Overall the whole National was so-so. Brett by far had the best equipment glove wise in my opinion, but the conversations and trading outside the National made the trip well worth it.

Day 3
I took in the city on this day and saw the United Center and Chinatown. Joel and I decided to head back for a quick search at the National for about an hour or so. On the shuttle we got to talk with card collector Donald Spence who talked to us about players he watched in his youth and his Mays gamer. Our search didn't turn up much, but I did find an Ed Maynard sewn web that I'll eventually make available soon. It looked high quality and plus I had to pick up the socks that were missing from my Thomas Wilson uniform. I did stop by Brett and William's booth one last time and invited them over to see the stuff I brought and we made arrangements to meet up. Joel and I headed out, but we ran into Norcal collector Allan W who had something to show us. He told us that he did pick up a glove that day and handed the bag over to me to check out. In my head, I was thinking it was probably some nice 20's/30's model or something. Inside was a dirty white Spalding red tag King Patent!!!!! :shock: I looked at Joel like "You gotta be kidding me!" Well, we congratulated Allan on his score and we headed out. When we got to the shuttle I told Joel "Could you believe a f$%%%n King patent?" What a day!
Please note that there was/is no ill will between collectors here I'm actually thrilled Allan scored it, but there is a competitive spirit at times between some of us. Many times I run into a fellow collector at a flea market here in California and once we see each other the first thing out of our mouth is "Don't start pulling a lot of s#@t out!" HAHAHA GOOD TIMES!
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » August 10th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Thanks again to all the people who stopped by the booth to chat and purchase items - I know there are a lot of lurkers out there that just read and I'm glad you stopped by and said hi - would love to see you all start posting.

Here is the Hornsby I picked up.
Attachments
wilson-model648L-hornsby-pic1.JPG
wilson-model648L-hornsby-pic2.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Hodges14 » August 11th, 2011, 12:37 am

I've been called alot of things, but I think this is the first time a "lurker". But guess that is what I have been/am most of the time to this site.
I was at the National and where else can you spend $20 dollars to get in see items from .25 to things valued to over 3 million that only have to do with baseball. It is like a mini-hall of fame.
I only made two purchases during my three days there but enjoyed every minute of it.
My first purchase were three early 1950's baseball magazines that are a great read and great pictures. And great ads on Charles Atlas muscle building, getting rid of black heads, etc. (No c.o.d.)
But BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY far my best purchase was a game used Brett Lowman glove. As a bonus it also happened to be a 1959 Rawlings PMT Bob Turley Three finger glove. Usually when you have a three finger glove you kind of put your hand in and kind of have think which fingers go where and it kind of feels weird/strange. But not this glove. This had as good a feel as any four finger glove I can remember.
I am a big Brooklyn Dodger fan and Billy Cox was their third baseman from 1949 thru 1953 and used a three finger for his entire career and was considered the Brooks Robinson of his time.(is that a run-on sentence or what) I always thought he was crazy to use a three finger glove after the four finger gloves with the attached lacing became kind of standard starting in 1949 or so. BUT after feeling this glove, I know why he stayed with the three finger. Billy forgive me for thinking you were wrong in not switching.
As I remember, Brett said his dad bought the glove first and then he (Brett) had a hand injury and used this glove for a few games because it was better for the hurt hand. I forgot to ask him what age he was when he used the glove. I'm sure there were no errors with that baby.
Would the glove be worth more if I had Brett autograph it????
Anyway, the National was great, Brett and William were great, and the glove is great.
Anyone have or know of anyone having a Chuck Shilling XPG 16 Rawlings Glove? I am looking for one.
I will go back to lurking. Thanks for the site Brett.
Hodges14
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby johnmilner » August 11th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Wow, I really have to try and make it out there next time!
That Hornsby is gorgeous!!!
johnmilner
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » August 11th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Here are a few photos of the giant glove that I made for the National. It's hard to really do it justice inside of my tiny photo frame, but you get the idea. The Reach one inch web and the baseball are both normal size.

GiantGlove1sm.jpg
GiantGlove2sm.jpg
GiantGlove3sm.jpg
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby okdoak » August 13th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Hodges14,
From the anecdotes I've read by players from his time, Billy Cox must have been some fielder. Here is a picture of him with his 3-finger glove.

okdoak

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion