Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Postby vintagebrett » August 4th, 2011, 7:31 am

Wow! Got to put some names with faces last night for the first time. Love meeting fellow collectors! We're having a blast at show - stuff has been flying out of our booth like crazy. It's apparent after setting up at the last two shows that quality pieces are still strong.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 4th, 2011, 11:37 am

Man, it's tough to get any work done because I keep thinking about how much fun you guys are having (though I know it's hard work, too). Please send some pics of the booth when you get a chance. Want to see the giant glove that William made, too! Good luck out there, and thanks for representing the hobby so well! Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 4th, 2011, 6:41 pm

okdoak wrote: There's a rumor that long lost RBD may be attending also. Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.
What? Don't let the name fool you, I'm actually quite approachable. :lol: I wasn't sure if I was going to head out, but I'm glad I did. Met up with Joel and Richie Boswell and am having a blast! I'm also glad to put faces with email addresses and glove handles of people I've dealt with over the years. I'll write more later. Not much on figurals out here, but Brett is killing it out here on the glove front. Still looking for Bert Davis aka Bing aka cleanhoo.
Rickybulldog

Postby vintagebrett » August 5th, 2011, 7:33 am

Quick morning update: Thursday was another great day at the show. Got to meet more old names/new faces and we also had quite a few people come through that really liked the look of the gloves and decided to buy a couple. Sorry, no pictures of the booth - we've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to take any. I know that Carlton from SportsAntiques.com took some so when he posts his story I'm sure you'll see a picture or two. We had two kids in the booth yesterday that were around 12 - they loved the gloves so we gave them a couple - they ended up buying more plus a bat and a ball - it was awesome. Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy on ESPN stopped by the booth a couple times the past two days - he remembered us from our little segment last year. Having lots of fun and looking forward to seeing more collectors this weekend!

Rob, even if you couldn't make it, at least it was nice to see some of your gloves at John K's booth. :)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » August 5th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Do any of the collectors who were lucky enough to have attended already have any pictures of the glove related booths they can post? I'm going through withdrawals from not being able to be there and need my fix of pictures. I've talked to a couple of dealers who say that gloves have been pretty hot and to some collectors who have made some purchases, which are both great news!

As for my gloves there, they were not easy decisions (they never are). There are some keepers out of my displays and a mixture of other unique features and/or big names to add a little variety. Some of them I hope don't sell and some likely won't sell because of the mutual-pain prices, but I think it's good to have a variety of ages and models represented. John doesn't likely display them all so if you are around his booth ask him if he has any others to check out.

Have fun guys!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby stockbuddy » August 5th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Hey Rob,

Looks like we will just have to enjoy the Nationals Convention vicariously through Brett and any others that post on this thread. Any pics would be cool. Sounds like they are having a great time there.

Did JD go to the Nationals?
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Rickybulldog » August 5th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Took in one more day at the National and I'm officially tired. I'm heading to watch the Cubbies tomorrow and flying home Sunday. I did snap some photos of Brett's booth and other stuff, but will post a wrap up later on with my finds and overall experience. I was fortunate enough to meet up with NorCal collector Allan W, I'm not writing his last name because I will butcher it badly. I did pick up one glove on the final go around today.

My favorite National comments for the week:

Richie Boswell: "I'd never thought I'd see Precious Moments stuff here!" :lol:

R Bulldog : "#$%%#'n King Patent" (I'll explain later) :shock: :lol:
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » August 5th, 2011, 6:40 pm

stockbuddy wrote:Hey Rob, Looks like we will just have to enjoy the Nationals Convention vicariously through posts on this thread

Nice use of the word vicariously ... it's easy to tell who the author is around here. I don't know about you, but I'm starving for detailed updates and pictures. Won't someone please feed the hungry?

Jim couldn't make it because of one of one of his many vacations to Hawaii. I teased him that my recent mini trip consisted of driving to Death Valley and his was some luxurious locale in Hawaii. Oh, to have his life ;-)
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby cubsrno1 » August 5th, 2011, 8:13 pm

It was really nice to finally meet some fellow collectors in person for the first time. After three days at the National, I am tired. :D Unfortunately, I did not pickup any gloves this year. My lone National pickup was not baseball related although a really nice piece for me.

It was fascinated to watch the Bulldog work the floor. He was a man on a mission and I am glad he has some major gloves to bring home. But, the best moment came when I saw the look on his face right when he saw that #^%$%&n King Patent. :D :D I'll let him explain.

It was a really nice experience this year! Rob, you should have came. Bert, we're still looking for you! :D :D
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » August 5th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Rob, I had forgotten but JD mentioned to me he was going to Hawaii and I did not put the overlapping time when the convention and Hawaii was on his schedule. Well if he has to miss the Naionals, I suppose Hawaii would be a neat place to be.

JD mentioned you had been buying a lotttttttt of gloves. :lol: I bet you set the price on the gloves at Nationals so high that you will just keep them. :shock:

Glad to see that some are checking in on the thread. You can almost feel their energy from the convention as they share the happenings on our thread. It is cool that some are getting to meet each other in person.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ScottWNJ » August 5th, 2011, 11:24 pm

I agree with GloveCrazy. Somebody please post some photos. I know Brett and William are probably too busy, but somebody must have snapped some pix. Wish I could be there, but just wasn't possible. Definitely will make it next year in Baltimore. Hope you are all having a great time.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 5th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Yep, Joel and Richie got to experience "Now you see me...Now you don't"

Day one:
Since my first National was in Anaheim (which turned out to be the last one) I was a little overwhelmed and not as prepared as I should have been. This time around I was more prepared and had a blast.

My plane flew in on Wednesday and Joel picked me up around 4:30. We had a bite to eat and he informed me that Richie (Boswell) was heading out to the convention center that day. We didn't plan on going until Thursday together, but Joel and I decided to go. Fortunately, the hotel I was staying at runs a shuttle back and forth, so we didn't have to pay the $13 for parking (that turned out to be a blessing since we went multiple days). Once we got there we realized we only had about an hour to search the area. Luckily, we bumped into Ryan Simms who told us the best places to look.

We first saw the gloves that John Graham had up for auction and were commenting on the fingerless pair. Both Joel and I were surprised by how large they were. Very interesting and neat to see in person.

When we got to Brett's booth, we noticed that Richie was already there. I met Brett, William, Richie, and Travis all for the first time. The booth looked great! That huge buckle back fielder's glove William made is AWESOME! Inside Brett's booth was a nice assortment of bats, balls, jerseys, sweaters, pictures, and gloves. I saw some ring bats and odd knob ones as well. The gloves they had were all types and condition. William had an interesting Goldsmith Carl Mays full web that I constantly kept picking up. Brett also had a white Schmeltzers buckle back full web available. They also had a bargain bin of gloves which was great for the kiddos and the newbies who were thinking about getting into the hobby. On my second day, I noticed a boy, age 8-9, walking around with a Trapper model mitt which was fantastic to observe. I ended up leaving Brett's booth the first day with a solid, 34", decal bat and a killer Alex Taylor basemitt. Thanks for the great deal!

We then split up and we did a quick skim of the rest of the area. I did notice a sweet-looking complete uniform for $350, but I didn't pull the trigger. I wish I did because it was gone the next day (Darn it!).

After they did the final call, I asked Joel if he saw the old, trophy helmet at the front, but when he got there everything was closed up. Maybe tomorrow we thought. As a whole we had high hopes going in. I didn't see too many figurals or coin op stuff, but the equipment had promise. That was day one! More when I return. Good day all and Go CUBS GO!

Notable gloves I saw besides Brett's booth:

Dizzy Dean Reach (pristine) $1,400
Pie Trayor in photo box $1,250
Mantle in the box $2,450
Crescent Spalding with red patch $1,800
Spalding and reach Babe Ruth
Nice Alexander Speed model
Some salesman sample gloves
3 finger Lutzke type (fixed strap)
Couple nice Mantles (MM series)
Peter's shoes glove w/ box
Rawlings Playmaker model with box
D&M Phil Todt model $150
Pristine Wilson Rogers Hornsby deluxe model
Wilson Ted Williams with wilson store display $1,000
Rickybulldog

Postby stockbuddy » August 6th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Ricky, Sounds like you guys were having a lot of fun. Glad you found some items to your liking too.

I would like to see a pic of Williams buckle back glove. That sounds neat.
Thanks for up-dates.
Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Rickybulldog » August 6th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Here are some pictures to satisfy your hunger :D

A shot of Brett and William's booth where you can see the big glove
Rickybulldog

Postby rdb34 » August 7th, 2011, 12:40 am

All I have to say is WOW. That was my first National and I don't think I was completely prepared for how big it is. I'm used to looking all morning at a flea market for a glimpse of leather and coming up empty most of the time. I walked in the convention center on Wednesday evening and I think my mind went numb. I walked around aimlessly until I ran into William and Brett's booth and even then I was stammering. Their booth was packed full of gloves and was great to see. Joel and Ricky showed up a little after me and it was cool meeting everyone in person. Everyone was really nice and it was fun to hang out with people who collect the same stuff as you.

I didn't end up buying any gloves at the show, but bought a couple bats. I can't wait to go next time around. I'm going to make sure I have more money in my pocket and bring a paper bag so I don't hyperventilate. I also would advise anyone to go the first couple of days of the show. I saw a few things I liked on Wednesday and they were gone when I went back the next morning. Everything was selling fast.
rdb34
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion