Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Re: Forum Get-Together Chicago National 2011

Postby stockbuddy » August 13th, 2011, 7:14 pm

William, Wow!!! :shock: What a cool, giant glove and a great eye catcher!!. You are very talented with the leather.

Brett, A really nice Hornsby glove. A real beauty.

Okdoak, it is always great to see the old gloves being used by the players in these old pictures. Thanks for the 3 finger glove pic.

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » August 15th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Oooh, that Hornsby is a beauty ... have Sonnetts, will trade! You outdid yourself on that huge glove William ... it looks tremendous! A white buckleweb fielders glove is in my wheel-house, too.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 15th, 2011, 3:59 pm

If you were bummed you couldn't attend the show or missed out on some gloves we sold, the first wave of them has hit eBay via a few different sellers. Have at 'em. :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » August 16th, 2011, 8:52 am

vintagebrett wrote:If you were bummed you couldn't attend the show or missed out on some gloves we sold, the first wave of them has hit eBay via a few different sellers. Have at 'em. :lol:

Then what's the big deal about the National. If gloves that you sold there are on ebay for resale, did you sell them at a disocunt? Did you sell them below what the market would bare? If so then why didn't you save the expense and sell them here? Saying hello in person to old internet friends is nice but money in the pocket trumps it IMO.

This is what I was asking before the show. Why save stuff to sell at the National?
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » August 16th, 2011, 10:00 am

Everyone has their own business model that works for them. I'm quite happy with the prices I sold my items for and if a flipper wants to try and make more, good luck to them. In my experience people are more inclined to spend money for item they can see up close in person. A lot of our business is people walking by the booth, seeing the gloves and thinking to themselves "Boy, that's cool. I want one." It helps us expand our hobby and add new collectors. We also fostered new relationships and opportunities that will help us going forward in growing our respective businesses. Both William and I were thrilled with the business we did and more importantly, so were our wives. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » August 16th, 2011, 11:31 am

I can see your point but I still don'tagree with it.

About a month before the National I inquired on a glove and was told by the seller he was saving it for the National. I made an offer but he insisted on not selling it. It was listed on ebay last week and I was able to buy it at a lower price than my offer to the original person. Yeah good for me but it still doesn't make sense
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » August 16th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Both sides have a point, but I think the greater good is to have good stuff represented at the National. A lot of people come in from miles away and it's nice to have a good variety of items available to them. Otherwise, they may be less inclined to go next time. To me, the National is a more of an event than a typical show, and it's in all of our best interests to have people talking about gloves and promoting collecting to new collectors (and dealers). Go glove buzz!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » August 16th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Here are a bunch of photos from the show - lucky for me, I'm only in a blurry one - William and my brother Travis are well represented - I guess they are more photogenic.

And I'm glad that chest protector sold quickly - William was getting a bit "handsy" with it. 8)

http://www.sportsantiques.com/2011_Nat_PH_Pg1.htm
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » August 18th, 2011, 3:16 pm

More pictures of the recent national. Some gloves, signage
http://sportsantiques.com/2011_Nat_PH_Pg1.htm
softball66

Postby Kenny Wel » August 18th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Thanks for the links to the photos, Guys. I was all pumped to go to the Bouckville antique fair this weekend, but I'm not going to see anything like this!

Ken
Kenny Wel
Veteran Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion