Help with Rawlings "wrist snugger" patent?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Help with Rawlings "wrist snugger" patent?

Postby mikesglove » October 13th, 2010, 2:21 am

Does anyone have an idea of the patent number for the Rawlings 'Wrist snugger"? I have looked through the Rawlings patents during the mid 1950's and can find nothing. The 1954 Rawlings catalog shows it as "patent applied for".
HoutemnB.jpg

Both Nokona and Goldsmith patented their versions in 1955-56.
1955 nokona wrist snuggera.jpg
Nokona

1956 goldsmith wrist snuggera.jpg
Goldsmith

Is it possible that Rawlings was beaten out by both of these two companies and was never issued a patent? My 1956 Spalding catalog recognizes the wrist snugger feature but doesn't say anything about it being patented.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Help with Rawlings "wrist snugger" patent?

Postby swalt1234 » October 13th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Mike I have a trade Magazine that says that Jan 1952 is the date of introduction of the Rawlings Snugger to the retail market. It also says 'Patent Applied for'. I don't know the follow up of this though.

swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Help with Rawlings "wrist snugger" patent?

Postby mikesglove » September 16th, 2013, 3:37 pm

here is another view of the "Snugger" adjustment showing the tie off for the snugger under the wrist strap. This is from a 1954 catalog but the same design as Mark's 1952 catalog photo above.

Below is one of Mark's gloves with the "Wrist Snugger" as advertized above.

Prior to 1952, Rawlings Used a different design called the "Wrist Lok". The main difference is the snugger tie off is outside the glove and not under the wrist strap. The PMS model below shows the "Wrist Lok" feature

I believe this to be a rare design feature possibly used for only one year, 1951. It is also interesting to note that the "V-Anchored Web" is present on this 1951 PMS glove even though the patent wasn't approved till 1953. Rawlings filed for the patent in 1950 and decided to Incorporate it in their 1951 models as a patent pending feature. Another view of the PMS glove below. There was a huge jump in retail price between the 1950 and 1951 gloves, I believe because of the new Latina design changes.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion