If we pooled our resources

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

If we pooled our resources

Postby softball66 » April 25th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Here's one Mr. Mitt missed>>
http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Mickey-Mantle- ... 202wt_1167
folds like a wallet and comes with certificate
By the way I collect vintage paper money of the more obscure politicians. I think Grover Cleveland / Alexander may be on some of them.
The stcak doesn't have to come gift wrapped. A large rubber band will suffice.
Thanks to Scott Calev for alerting us and the Saudis to this once in a lifetime Mantle.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: If we pooled our resources

Postby vintagebrett » April 26th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Maybe we can buy his Gehrig bat too!! Those certificates mean they have to be authentic, right? It's not like anyone could make them in Mircosoft Word. :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ScottWNJ » April 27th, 2010, 11:31 am

He should donate it to Cooperstown. If it's the real deal, it probably belongs there.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby czog32 » April 29th, 2010, 11:47 am

I actually bought this glove from this guy late last year. I returned it to him when it was not as advertised in his description. I cannot believe he would try something like this, it is amazing.
czog32
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby czog32 » April 29th, 2010, 11:48 am

I would also like to add it only cost me about $50 at the time. I was speculating on some very weak pictures and a hope for a weak interest. It was a MM4 and it was in need of much attention.
czog32
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby AkBandit » April 29th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Even the...and I use the term lightly...."certificate of authenticity" says it is a 1952 MM4. Since the MM4 first came out in 1954, this glove is way before it's time, so how could it not be worth that much. :lol:

By the way, I have nice looking MM4 with the 1958 60th Anniversary patch, that I will let go for $1,000,000 and I will include shipping :D
AkBandit

Postby okdoak » April 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm

I know that we have members who are far more knowledgeable than I am on which gloves the Mick actually used, but I'm going to guess that he never used an MM4 and probably not his personal models either. Much has been written about his glove of choice in the 1950's being a Rawlings HH. I do have one, but sadly it's of the unfolded variety.
okdoak

Postby softball66 » April 30th, 2010, 9:10 am

The auction is a joke obviously but the seller doesn't know it or chooses to ignore it. Says a lot about eBay and what can go on.
My guess on what Mantle used according to books, images and stories: he showed up at the Yankee spring training bringing and wearing a 3-finger glove, probably a Musial personal model PM. Frank Crosetti, the Yankee coach, made him switch to a five -finger glove, likely a Rawlings MC, RR, or BD since Mantle was trying out for shortstop at this time. Later on we know he used an HH that Denny Esken owns and may have tried the HSP or RSP later, then to the XPG models with various post webs including the bar web with a twist. Later a DCT baseman mitt. That's what we have pretty good ideas on.
There has been an attempt to pass off an MM personal model that Mantle gave someone's uncle with help from Eddie Joost. It's possible that Mantle was given some of his MM personal models and he may
have given them away. Doubtful that he played with any of them. That little agenda still goes on today with players (sometimes asking for them) being given no playing gloves to give out to their friends and fans. It's even been commercialized beyond this where Rawlings has to mark certain players gloves that are identical but not made for the player's use.
Sad facts.
softball66

Postby mikesglove » February 22nd, 2018, 4:03 pm

softball66 wrote: My guess on what Mantle used according to books, images and stories: he showed up at the Yankee spring training bringing and wearing a 3-finger glove, probably a Musial personal model PM. Frank Crosetti, the Yankee coach, made him switch to a five -finger glove, likely a Rawlings MC, RR, or BD since Mantle was trying out for shortstop at this time. Later on we know he used an HH that Denny Esken owns

Here's a model HH from the HOF. It has the V-Anchored web. It was large, more like an outfielders glove.

When Mantle came into the league he played with a smaller infielders glove as Joe mentions. Heres some photos:
This one is cool. Pictured with Joe D. The glove has MICK across the fingers.

He's wearing an interesting glove.

The glove has cross lacing above the wrist opening.

Below is an early Red Rolfe model RR with that cross lacing.
mikesglove

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion