The Chase is Over

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

The Chase is Over

Postby softball66 » February 28th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Did anyone notice the Hal Chase (Chase Model) mitt on eBay recently? :?: It was with a lot of mask, reeded shin guards and closed for $850 smackers. This, I think, is the first Chase model to emerge. It's been catalogued. Chase is considered, along with Vic Power, as perhaps the best fielding first baseman ever. But he was quite a scoundrel otherwise.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

RE: Chase Mitt

Postby vintagesportscollector » February 28th, 2007, 6:09 pm

I was watching that lot. Do you think the winner knows what he has with that Chase mitt? My guess is that he was really after the shin guards more, and may not realize value of the mitt. Problem is those are not reeded baseball shin guards, I believe, they are Cricket leg guards. (the mask is nice too).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
vintagesportscollector
Rookie Glove Poster

he knew

Postby softball66 » March 1st, 2007, 8:57 am

Yep the winning bidder knew. I chatted with him. He has the price guide and used it. Others think the shin guards might be crickett because they overlap over knees. Now, the questin is...what's the Chase mitt really worth :?:
softball66

Cricket

Postby doubleSwitch » March 2nd, 2007, 8:52 pm

First time ever i have retracted a bid when i noticed the shin guards

were for Cricket and not reeded. The seller even listed them as a chest

protector. I contacted the seller and asked where the chest protector

photo was and got an awkward reply. I realized then i didn't want to deal

with any headaches after dropping a few Franklins. Pricey Chase glove

though. I hope the buyer is happy with the purchase.
doubleSwitch
Veteran Glove Poster

Chase

Postby Mike**Mize » March 2nd, 2007, 9:40 pm

Fascinating looking glove. I was looking at it, but I got fixated on the white Spalding BX. Went out and got it this afternoon. Can't wait to see it up close. There's an excellent biography out on Hal Chase. The Black Prince of Baseball, I think it's called. Not just for Chase, but also for early 20th Century Baseball. It's an extremely vivid read covering Semi Pro and early California League teams and PCL teams, lots on the Highlanders,
Giants, Federal League stuff, Reds, and finally amazing descriptions of dusty old Texas teams where ol'Hal wound down his sordid but at the same time tragic life.You won't believe some of the plays the guy pulled off made all the more interesting when you couple it with being able to look at the Chase glove... the one handed stab of a bunt before it hits the ground and then wheel and throw to second or third to nail a completely surprised runner. He could really do it when he wanted to. He was also the master of the boot and the fraction too late to the bag, runner's safe play. :cry: Back in Hal's day, gambling was as common and up close to the players as as beer and hot dogs. I used to be friends with a guy who grew up in the late teens and 20's. His Dad was in the lumber business and always took him to the Giants' games. As he told it, money was changing hands on every pitch and every play. Really over the top stuff. Chase wasn't alone in all this. Far from it.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Chasing Down

Postby softball66 » March 3rd, 2007, 10:02 am

Prince Hal wasn't a bad hitter either. And perhaps most would agree that the two finest fielding first sackers might be Chase and Vic Power. Years ago I read in the little magazine "Spit Ball" a splendid fictional short story about a down-trodden alcoholic "Pete" Alexander meeting up with "the same old" Hal Chase in one of the old California leagues. Loved it.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion