Howdy from West Texas!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Howdy from West Texas!

Postby Cowboy7130 » February 25th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Howdy, y'all! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this group! I am a newbie when it comes to being a glove collector, although I have been doing it all my life. I never got rid of my old gloves from years ago ... Little League and Pony League ... Colt League ... the embarrassing attempt at semi-pro ball ... I have all my old gloves! My mom thought I was a pack-rat, but wait until I tell her there is a group for guys like me! :)

I look forward to watching and learning. Thanks again!
Wes
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 25th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby spedrunr » February 26th, 2007, 2:23 pm

hey cowboy, what kinda gloves did you use when you were a kid?
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

All my gloves!

Postby Cowboy7130 » February 26th, 2007, 5:26 pm

1. Johnny Walker (japan) FG 200 7" full grain cowhide.
2. Regent 5116 "Super Scoop" 9"
3. Revelation 6C1272 - 11" - This glove got me through the last two years of Little League and both years of Pony, even though I played first base! At one point, I repaired a broken lace with a piece of baling wire!
4. A Wilson or Rawlings in banana yellow with green piping and laces ... hey, it was the 1970's! But it was laughed out of the ballpark, so I went back to the Revelation. My sister commandeered this glove when she played USGSA softball. I got it back from her a few years ago, and my Boxer pup was offended by the color scheme, so he chewed it to pieces one night when I left it on the couch.
5. A Franklin fielder's glove, 12" or so, that was stolen when I was in high school from my pickup.
6. All-time fave - Wilson A2124 George Brett 12" that I got when I was playing intramural softball in the 80's in college. That glove has been awesome! Still cleans up real well, has been relaced twice.

Recent gloves that have come into my possession:

7. Rescued from an equipment shed, literally buried under a fire ant mound: A Rawlings OR520 Dale Murphy, 12". This one is kinda rough, but it is still tight, and I pitched a lot of high school and Little League batting practice wearing it. I plan to have my glove guy rebuild it soon.

8. Also rescued from the trash pile: Two perfectly good first base mitts. One is a Wilson Limited Edition Team Series, A1780. The other is a big ol' Rawlings RPT Series RPT-FB.

9. A final trash pile rescue: A McGregor CMTS Thurman Munson catcher's mitt. I am not sure, but I THINK I may have used this mitt in Little League, the season they tried to make me a catcher. (I coached/coach my sons at the same Little League today where I played in the early 1970's, so when they were getting rid of old mitts, I rescued this one!) My glove guy relaced it, and I caught bullpen for my oldest son with it last year. Still a solid glove, though there are two holes worn in the back of it!

10. Finally, a glove I just couldn't resist on e-bay the other day: A Wilson A9835 SB Special, 12", in REALLY good condition. I know it's not a collector, but it was so pretty ... and it reminds me of the A2000 that I want someday!
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion