Reissues

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby Number9 » September 28th, 2009, 8:58 pm

This is certainly an interesting topic. From what I understand, Rawlings has not yet produced any re-issues for public sale. The few that have been recently auctioned off were made for a specific person or occasion. I don't think that there was much consideration made for labeling the gloves as reproductions because of that reason. I would expect the "for sale" re-issues, if they ever become available, will have some kind of marking that will clearly identify them.

In the future, if you find yourself holding a pristine set of fingerless gloves, rest assured that they are reproductions.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 28th, 2009, 10:02 pm

I think that some are bidding on the two gloves believing that they ARE vintage. There were a few posts on the net54 site about a “workman’s style” glove in the recent MEARS auction. The winner believed everything that was written in the auction’s description. I truly believe that some Hunt bidders are taking the auction house’s word as gospel (perhaps it was an honest mistake on Hunt’s part, though I think the MEARS write-up was purposeful).

I don’t pay much attention to reproductions and haven’t researched them except for the MM, so when I initially saw the gloves on Hunt’s website, my eyes popped! I thought they were legitimately vintage and began calculating how high I would go on them. I then did some snooping and ultimately decided that I wouldn’t take a chance and bid on them because the probability of being reproductions was too high for me. Does this mean that they are repros? No, that’s just my opinion. But, the more important fact is that my initial excitement blinded my judgment. Thankfully I have a little experience with gloves to question certain things that looked peculiar to me. I’m not so sure everybody who received their catalog will be as cynical.

As has been discussed, the patch on the wrist strap would be very telling. In perusing Jim’s site the past few years, I glanced at JG’s Rolfe. I always took it as a stunning, vintage glove. It’s not my cup of tea, so I never gave it a second look. After using it as a comparison to the one currently at auction, I realized that JG’s has a Rawlings tag that wasn’t used in production until 1959/60. Rolfe’s career ended in 1942. I didn’t even have to look in the Rawlings catalogs to see if Rawlings produced Rolfe endorsed gloves nearly two-decades (or more) after he retied. He was a decent player, but not good enough to warrant a Sisler-like endorsement contract after retiring. Hell, Mantle’s signature on Rawlings gloves ended a few years after he retired! That said, I always assumed JG’s Rolfe was vintage, but have changed my opinion after really taking a look at it.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » September 28th, 2009, 10:04 pm

I emailed David Hunt today and asked for a picture of the backs of the two gloves
murphusa

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 28th, 2009, 10:11 pm

That being said, repro gloves are great for some, though others loathe them. It’s up to the owner’s personal preference. The problem rests in correctly identifying a glove for what it truly is and valuing it as such. I would be willing to spend “x” on the Rolfe in Hunt’s auction knowing it’s a repro. If it were truly vintage, perhaps I’d value it as “y”. I just don’t want to spend “y” on a repro. That would be problematic.
Mr. Mitt

Postby BigD-Moonlight » September 28th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Interesting thread. I have been traveling for the last several days and have not had a chance to respond to the questions.
The McQuinn signed by GHWB has been answered by VintageBrett, I have owned it a month and it was sold as a repro.
The Rolfe RR glove, I am not entirely positive if it is original or not but I have owned at least for six or seven years and I believe it was from ebay. Either way it is a beauty, but I would be disappointed if it was determined not to be a vintage glove. I would be interested to know how long and the frequency that Rawlings have been making the repros. Also,
of course I would like to know if mine is vintage or not. I will get Joe's opinion in the next couple of weeks. I believe he has seen it (about 100 times).
Ricky, I love the Rajah box! I've only seen one before.
BigD-Moonlight
BigD-Moonlight
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 28th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Go to the source, John. Talk with Bob over at Rawlings to get a definitive answer.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » September 28th, 2009, 10:47 pm

I have been to the factory store in Reading PA. It has a case in it with the Mantle repo in it. The factory tour bus/trailer etc has repo's in their display.

Rawlings is not selling these gloves, only using them for display.

The Hunt gloves from a Rawlings employee who worked there 40 years. So it looks like he brought home a glove or two over the years.

I purchased a great Hornsby's glove last night on ebay. It was not from his playing days but from when he was retired and on the advisory team at the glove maker. Is there much difference?
murphusa

Postby ebbets55 » September 28th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Alright guys, you made me dig deep into my archives for these. I was sent these photographs and offered these in the mid-90's before we e-mailed pictures to each other. I just dug them up and scanned them in. Background as I remember was that Ron Knuppel, Jr. turned up a find of boxed and unused gloves in the mid-90's. He sent me these along with some other great pics. I couldn't afford to get anything but one. Sorry Brett, I got the mint Sonnett Double Play glove. I would have gotten these if I had the foresight and the money.

What do you guys make of these? I like 'em. These two would indicate that they came from the mid-90's according to the photographs. Now we know Rawlings made these even earlier than originally thought. Add Mort Cooper and Bill Doak to the list. If anyone is keeping score, that makes:

Mickey Mantle MM, Mort Cooper MC, Red Rolfe RR, Ken Keltner KK, George McQuinn Claw and Bill Doak if in fact these are reissues. I'm just stating these are the ones in question.

I find it hard to believe that most of you guys wouldn't bid on these if they came up in auction knowing they are repros. I'm going on record to say that the two Hunt gloves will do pretty well and that there is a fairly strong market for reissues if anything because of the scarcity.

Lastly, Mark W., you have to chime in here Bud. I think you might own these two from Ron.

JD

ebbets55

Postby murphusa » September 28th, 2009, 11:08 pm

The registered trademark icon on the gloves tells you right off that they were made after 1963 so you can go from there
murphusa

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 28th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Murph… I have several Rawlings gloves form the late-1950’s that have the registered trademark icon. Curious as to where you got your information?
Mr. Mitt

Postby Rickybulldog » September 28th, 2009, 11:19 pm

I wish I could remember, but wasn't there a Rawlings catcher's mitt on Ebay a few years back that was made for one of the employees or someone with a Rawlings connection? It was a big deal because the tag was later and I think it was a buckle back..Wish I would have saved the pictures/listing.

JD, are those 2 vent holes on the MC? :lol:

Don't know if this was it, but this one seems out of place.
http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/gallery/index.php?album=rawlings&image=Bob+O+Farrell+Rawlings+Front+Doug.JPG
Rickybulldog

Postby murphusa » September 28th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Mr. Mitt wrote:Murph… I have several Rawlings gloves form the late-1950’s that have the registered trademark icon. Curious as to where you got your information?

Something I've known for a long time, so I looked it up

In 1963 the icon became the universal symbol. Before that you had

"Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office," or
"Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off."
murphusa

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 29th, 2009, 1:38 am

murphusa wrote:The registered trademark icon on the gloves tells you right off that they were made after 1963 so you can go from there

murphusa wrote:Something I've known for a long time, so I looked it up

In 1963 the icon became the universal symbol. Before that you had

"Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office," or
"Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off."

Could you provide a source on this? Based on the supposed inception date of 1963, by your logic, all of the following gloves are reproductions as well...

Johnny Groth - JG - last produced in 1959

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... 20Mark.jpg

Harvey Haddix - HH - last produced in 1959

Duke Snider - DS - last produced in 1959 (two different)

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... 20Mike.jpg

Stan Musial - PM - last produced in 1959

Herb Score - HSP - last produced 1959

Mickey Mantle - MM6 - last produced 1960

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... povich.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby vintagebrett » September 29th, 2009, 6:58 am

My dad sent me this note this morning - hopefully he can turn up what he mentions:

"The Doak that JD had pictures of is the one I owned (bought in a Mastro Auction if I remember correctly). Dave Bushing told me that it was made by Rawlings for a catalog cover showing the progression of gloves over the years. I had a copy of the catalog with the pictures on it - will see if I can find it. I think the Mort Cooper was another one that was pictured in the progression."

The Mastro auction archive only goes back to 2000 - I have a bunch of the older catalogs so I will search through them if I have a chance and see if I can find it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » September 29th, 2009, 8:16 am

I corrected myself by saying it became the "universal" mark in 1963. Before that you could use any if the 3

my source was US Patent Office
murphusa

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion