Reissues

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Reissues

Postby clw » September 25th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Hi everyone.

I understand from talking with Joe Philips (one of the nicest guys I've ever talked with) that there have been a number of Nokona/Nocona reissue gloves. I assume other companies have done this too, Akadema with the Ken Well and Reach lines, but I came across something that I can't find any info about. It's a Rawlings George McQuinn claw reissue.

http://www.baseballglovecollector.com/g ... t+John.jpg

I would love to know more about them. Would any of you be able to tell me when they were reissued, and how I can go about finding one...if they're even available?

Thanks
Chris
clw
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » September 25th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Sorry, Chris. Wish I knew more. John's is the first one I have ever seen. Rawlings reissued gloves here and there for special events like the recently auctioned Mickey Mantle MM. They were made for special occasions and given as gifts I understand. Don't know the story behind the McQuinn. John?

JD
ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » September 26th, 2009, 1:19 am

I believe that this was the glove made by Rawlings glove guru, Bob Clevenhagen, as a gift for George H.W. Bush. The mitt is a replica of the first base mitt Bush used as a college baseball player at Yale.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby vintagebrett » September 26th, 2009, 6:50 am

Bretman is correct about the claw reissue.

There are 2 reissues in the current Hunt internet auction, although they are not listed as such. If I remember correctly there is a Rolfe and Keltner. They have them listed as vintage but they are reproductions.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » September 26th, 2009, 10:08 am

I really had to do a double take when coming across those Rawlings gloves at Hunt. My first reaction was WOW!!! The Rolfe with the "wound trap" is spectacular. Then I began to wonder if the pair were reissues as their conditions are too nice to be vintage. I assumed they were, but never kept track of remakes, so don't know when they're from.

Given that Hunt mistakenly categorized the gloves as vintage, what's your take on the Wilson "Ace of Diamonds" counter display sign? Again, they say vintage, but it sure appears to be a reproduction to me.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » September 26th, 2009, 10:52 am

Received the catalog yesterday from Hunt.
Last edited by murphusa on September 28th, 2009, 9:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » September 26th, 2009, 11:23 am

Hopefully they will update their listings to show that they are reproductions. I would think the lack of silver in the stampings would be a clue - I'm pretty sure most Rawlings glove of that era would have silver paint.

Mr. Mitt, as for the sign, I remember looking at it at the National - they had a price tag of $750 on it. It's been on their website for a while as well. I don't know signs so I can't offer an opinion but I do like how it looks. I thought about bidding but probably won't.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Reissues

Postby cjw » September 26th, 2009, 5:06 pm

clw wrote:Hi everyone.

I understand from talking with Joe Philips (one of the nicest guys I've ever talked with) that there have been a number of Nokona/Nocona reissue gloves. I assume other companies have done this too, Akadema with the Ken Well and Reach lines, but I came across something that I can't find any info about. It's a Rawlings George McQuinn claw reissue.

I would love to know more about them. Would any of you be able to tell me when they were reissued, and how I can go about finding one...if they're even available?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris...I don't have any info to add to this thread, but wanted to say hi to another Canadian Chris....with a similar hanlde no less! (cjw)
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » September 26th, 2009, 8:09 pm

What are the odds on that?! Hoping that there's one more Chris in Canada to join the forum as ciw. You sure you're not all the same guy? :)
okdoak

Postby cjw » September 26th, 2009, 8:22 pm

okdoak wrote:What are the odds on that?! Hoping that there's one more Chris in Canada to join the forum as ciw. You sure you're not all the same guy? :)

I used to live in Ontario, not in Windsor like 'clw" but in Toronto, not far away. Now in Vancouver. chris
WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game used items and Vancouver baseball items -Capilanos, Mounties, Canadians
cjw
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby clw » September 26th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Thanks guys. Some interesting replies. Would love to get my hands on some unused baseman's gloves or reproductions of them. I gather from reading your posts that these are the sort of thing that only come up once in a blue moon and you have to be very active in looking for them.

Hopefully Rawlings will reissue the claw trapper for anyone to buy.

To cjw: LOL! That's funny. Maybe we even share a last name!

Chris
clw
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » September 27th, 2009, 12:55 am

I received my first Hunt Auctions catalog yesterday and was very excited to see those Rawlings gloves. Sorry to see that they are reissues and not true vintage gloves. But thanks for pointing it out and saving me from making a rookie mistake.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » September 27th, 2009, 9:45 am

Even though they are re-issues, they still would be a very nice glove to have in a collection.
murphusa

Postby murphusa » September 28th, 2009, 9:12 am

Discussing the glove with David Hunt and we found this glove

are they both re-issues

the Hunt glove comes from a 40 year Rawlings employee
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » September 28th, 2009, 11:40 am

I'd like to see the back of the gloves in Hunt's auction - I think the tagging will help us more than anything else.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion