Avast ye Matey!!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Avast ye Matey!!

Postby Rickybulldog » February 19th, 2007, 11:19 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope all is well. I don't know if this topic has been addressed or not, but has anyone come across a Rawlings fielder's glove with the "Pirate Web"?
I sold one a long time ago on ebay and I forgot who it was endorsed by. Does anyone have one in their collection or why Rawlings came up with this idea? Were the endorsees strictly Pirate players? Thanks for your responses. Just a long time collector wanting to learn more. :D
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Aye

Postby glove-works » February 19th, 2007, 11:35 pm

The Pirate Web ws endorsed by Dick Groat.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 20th, 2007, 6:50 pm

The Pirate web Dick Groat was the first "vintage" glove I got. I believe it came from the "great" glove find of the early 90's but I'd have to check with my dad. Still one of my favorites. Reason I wanted it is because Groat was an All-American basketball player at Duke and I've been an obsessive fan of Blue Devil basketball since the day I was born.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » February 20th, 2007, 11:53 pm

I've seen a couple of those before. One was probably the one mentioned sold on eBay!

That web- minus the pirate stamping- looks identical to the web on the Mantle MM9 "Triple Crown" gloves from the same era. I'm sure that I've also seen a similar web on a Spalding glove from about that time.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion