Bill Doak Style Nokona???? ODD WEB

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Bill Doak Style Nokona???? ODD WEB

Postby drasher81 » May 16th, 2006, 11:31 am

I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas on this glove. I have never seen another like it. It is a Nokona, but resembles a Doak model with the eyelets in the index finger. It also has a very distinct style corset web. There are no stampings left to go by on this one. It has me puzzled any help would be appreciated.

[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/drasher99/DSC01009.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/drasher99/c0534dff.jpg[/img][/img]
drasher81

Nokona / Doak web

Postby crackofthebat » May 16th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Really a neat looking looking web! I've seen a lot of Nokona gloves, but nothing like this one. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » May 24th, 2006, 12:20 am

Add me to the list- I've never seen a Nokona with that web either!

There is an unusual Rawlings glove on eBay right now (some of you may have seen it). It is a Johnny Pesky endorsed "FF" model (which I don't see in the Vintage Glove Guide) that has the Doak-style "grommeted finger" along with a full web. It's also a beautiful glove in mint condition!

Here's a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Rawlings-Jo ... dZViewItem

Also recently saw a Rawlings Mark "Irish" Christman endorsed glove that looked very much like a Doak "H" model, with the same eyelets on the index finger.

Before seeing these two Rawlings gloves, I can't remember seeing any others that used the Doak-style finger eyelets.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » May 29th, 2006, 9:14 am

Though I've not seen that Doak style index finger lacing, Nocona folks were always tinkering with ideas. This had to be an experimental try by Tommy Tompkins. I've seen the Rawlings Doak index on a couple of gloves like the Chrestman. I did see the Pesky glove. Don't know if this indicated a pro stock effort by Rawlings or not or just experimentation. But distinctive gloves for sure.
Joe
softball66

Postby Bleacher Bum » June 7th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Drasher81,

Can you send me a pic of the Nokona glove? - bstoefen@hotmail.com. I am just starting a collection of Nokona gloves and would love to see what is out there.

Thank you!

Brad
Bleacher Bum
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » June 21st, 2006, 2:42 pm

It seems like I just had this conversation with Jim Daniel the other day. I have a Nokona with the Doak front grommet pattern and was telling Jim I had never noticed another non Doak with the front-facing grommet holes. When I figure out how to add pictures I'll add the picture of mine. Please send me a picture of yours.
GloveCrazy

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion