Exciting!

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Exciting!

Postby vintagebrett » February 17th, 2007, 9:33 am

Hey Everyone

The other night I had the pleasure of speaking with Bill Sonnett, Jr., grandson of the founder of OK MFG and the Sonnett Company. I found out a lot of interesting things and will be doing a write up of our converstation. One thing that stood out to me is that they had giant vats of lanolin in the warehouse and used it to condition the gloves - I don't know why I think that is neat but I do. Anwyay, it was a great experience for me and I learned a lot more about my favorite glove company.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Well....?

Postby MVALZ » February 17th, 2007, 1:43 pm

...and now for the question that needs to be asked. Is he sending you a few Mint in the box Lightning Models :?:

:D
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 17th, 2007, 1:56 pm

I wish!!!

He says he has his Nelson Fox glove that he used as a kid and that is about it. Apparently this model glove was not mass produced so they are hard come by.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Wow!

Postby softball66 » February 18th, 2007, 9:09 am

Had no idea Bill Jr. was still alive. Great history on the OK-Sonnett (after Wilson bought them out). How'd you find him?
Lanolin use is probably ahead of its time. But the idea has certainly borne out. Likely nothing better for a ball glove.
Way to Go! :lol:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 18th, 2007, 9:30 am

Actually, I spoke with Bill III. He actually found me through this forum. It has been quite an exciting experience for me.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » February 18th, 2007, 11:17 pm

Cool story! Looking forward to the writeup.

Being in Ohio, I have a special fondness for the Ohio-based glove makers. Goldsmith and Hutch were Cincinnati institutions, and of course the OK brand was in Ada, Ohio long before being bought out by Wilson.

A long drive to the northwest corner of the state last summer took me past the freeway exit to Ada. This town is really out in the boondocks. Nothing but farmland around as far as you can see.

Didn't have time for a side trip, but would have loved to take the tour of the Wilson plant that is still there. No gloves being made on the premises- this is where Wilson currently makes all of the official footballs used in NFL play.

I wonder if the plant and tour have any remnants at all from the old glovemaking days?
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 19th, 2007, 8:44 am

From what I was told, the factory in Ada is the only one still producing leather footballs in the USA. The amount that make each week is incredible! They not only make the ones for play, they also make the white panel ball that are used for autographs.

Mr. Sonnett told me that they are currently working on making a museum at the factory in Ada. He wasn't sure how much would focus on Sonnett or baseball gloves for that matter.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion