help: Roberto Clemente glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

help: Roberto Clemente glove

Postby davmiami » February 6th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Hi. I bought a MacGregor G60 Roberto Clemente glove off eBay to give to a friend. She is writing a novel for teenagers in which a vintage glove is central to the plot. (It's even in the title.) I would like to be able to tell her as much as I can about the glove: year it was made, etc. I know it's a Japanese model and I'm wondering what the last year that MacGregor made a Clemente glove, if they did, in the U.S. Would also be interested in what other endorsements and the years Clemente had. It would mean a lot. If anyone can direct me or contact me directly with the info, I would be most grateful. Thanks.
davmiami
Rookie Glove Poster

Guessing 1969

Postby softball66 » February 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Clemente began with Sears, then switched to MacGregor I think about 1967 when the 990 import model came out with Roberto's name on it. '68 had the Robinson/Clemente glove. Then the 990 continued in 1969. I don't have catalogs for 1970 to 1973 so same model or other similar imports for Clemente may have appeared in those year.
This will mark the second time a Clemente glove has been a somewhat essential part of an article or story. We covered the other article from "Elysian Fields" Magazine in our newsletter couple of years back.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 7th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Hi Dave,

Good to see that you've found your way to the glove forum.

I received your email regarding Clemente gloves last week, but must apologize for not getting back to you. It's been one of those busy weeks and my email is piling up as much as all the snow we've been getting!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion