Help with a Wilson

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Help with a Wilson

Postby vintagebrett » February 5th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Recently picked up this Wilson and was wondering if anyone can explain the model number. This is definitely an early 50's glove but the model number is G1333. Before and after the model # is a dot. Does this mean anything to anyone? I'm wondering if it is a military desigination or something else. The other stampings are normal on other Wilson's I've seen - Kurv-Form, Professional model. But I've never seen this type of model number. Any clue?

vintagebrett
Site Admin

For Western Auto

Postby softball66 » February 6th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Wilson made these "G" number gloves for Western Auto store sales. Assume by putting the G numbers on the gloves initial stamping, the gloves could then be tracked through the factory as designated for the W. A. stores. I've had Wilson Boudreaus and Ted Williams gloves with the G numbers and seen a few more names. These were made on existing Wilson patterns same as the A numbers I believe. Somewhere I may have an old Western Auto catalog with some of these gloves in it.
:wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 6th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Thanks for the information Joe - it is much appreciated.

Since we're on the topic, any idea what the CL designation on Wilson gloves is for?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Chicago Leather

Postby softball66 » February 6th, 2007, 8:50 pm

This is the original Chicago factory for Wilson. By the 1950s they were making their top of the line and pro stock gloves there. C.L. standing for Chicago Leather. When they purchased O.K. in Ada, Ohio they shifted most of their glove manufacturing there but continued to make the best gloves at the Chicago factory till it finally closed in the late 1950s or early 1960s as best I can guess. Some of the major league gamers are marked with the CL.
softball66

Wilson "G" gloves

Postby Mittman » February 7th, 2007, 12:13 am

Thanks Joe for the enlightenment and Brett for asking the question because I very recently came across a Wilson Bob "Red" Wilson Personal Model catchers mitt with a similar number G1356 and I was wondering what the story was.
Mittman
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » February 7th, 2007, 7:18 pm

Somewhere along the line I had heard that the Wilson "CL" models designated the "Chicago Leather" plant. Right after reading this thread I came across this example on eBay:

Wilson "CL" Model Glove

The "G" designation denoting gloves sold through Western Auto was a new one for me. This numbering is commonly found on the Western Auto "Revelation" gloves that pop up from time-to-time.

Now, try to figure out these two!

Wilson A2760G Model

Wilson S-K-10 Model
BretMan

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion