What is a baseball glove?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby MVALZ » January 7th, 2007, 11:47 am

*From the 1969 Rawlings catalog*

A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
A baseball glove is the dusty badge of belonging, the tanned and oiled mortar of team and commaraderie; in its creases and scuffs lodge sunburned afternoons freckled with thrills, the excited hum of competition, cheersthat burst like skyrockets.
A baseball glove is Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle and a thousand and one names and moments strung like white and crimson banners in the vast stadium of memory.
A baseball glove is the leather of adventure, worthy successor to the cowboy's holster, the trooper's saddle and the buckskin laces of the frontier scout; it is combat, heroics, and victory...a place to smack a fist or snuff a rally.
Above all, a baseball glove is the union of father and son, boy and friends, man and men; it is union beyond language, creed or color.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 7th, 2007, 11:59 am

I've seen this on a sign somewhere - I think my dad has it hanging up in his workshop. It is a very good summary!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby crackofthebat » January 7th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Rawlings also had this as a panel on some of their glove boxes (I have a panel from a 1965 box). I coached Little League for 18 years and gave a copy of this out to my players.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion