ok splitfinger officianados

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

ok splitfinger officianados

Postby spedrunr » January 1st, 2007, 9:43 am

was this glove a:

a)screamin deal
b)overpriced (it's my husbands 40th bday, i don't care what it cost)
c)market priced

*free response as to why for extra credit

spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » January 1st, 2007, 2:43 pm

Great Question, I have almost the identical glove, mine has the last 2 fingers fused as well. I have always wondered what the market value would be. Mine has a faint OK brand stamp. Until this one I have never seen another like it. The only problem is the stitching on the palm has always been softball, but this one and the one I found over the summer don't have that in the stamping so who knows. It is certainly an odd glove.
drasher81

Postby mudman » January 1st, 2007, 9:13 pm

Sure looks like a sofball glove to me!
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Stubby Index Finger Glove

Postby ebbets55 » January 1st, 2007, 10:35 pm

I love these gloves with the stubby finger crotch. I have three of them. Two are baseball and the third definitely says Softball on it. I have seen many of these over the years and some are baseball and some are softball. The Wilson Sarge Connally is definitely a baseball glove and is listed in the catalog as a short finger. I have seen it and could never say that one was a softball glove. This one listed definitely looks like a softball glove to me but a very cool glove nonetheless. It has the same heel stitching as the Goldsmith Gripper Softball Model doesn't it.

JD
ebbets55

"extended palm" glove

Postby Mike**Mize » January 2nd, 2007, 6:55 am

I've got one of these made for baseball rather than softball (no stitching in the palm). Mine's a JC Higgins and at the moment, I can't remember the endorser. When I was working on it I remember showing it to a bunch of people. I think it might have been Kenny Jenkins who referred to it as an Extended Palm glove. I love the look of it. I'm sure the idea was just that...more surface area for catching; a bigger pocket.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Softball all the way

Postby mjkm90 » January 2nd, 2007, 7:53 pm

Definately softball.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

what have we here?

Postby softball66 » January 4th, 2007, 9:47 am

No doubt this is a "Jim Dandy" glove. Likely a kid's softball model with the sewn in pocket a sure tipoff. I know the seller and he had an interesting theory about hiding the ball which is "up for discussion." Many of the softball models, especially the Hutch's had this sewn crescent shape (to the padding I assume and no external padding) and were sold normally as softball gloves and sometimes listed that way. One of the Hutch Dimaggios though had this sewing as did an Eddie Marshall endorsed glove which I can assume were sold as baseball gloves.
Also as an aside, Nocona used a "fused" or connected leather lower forefinger and mid finger design on one of its models in recent years. The idea was to eliminate that weak spot where tears would occur normally on the glove. It was a good idea. The Akadema Reptilian may borrow from this theory. Maybe our Dandy was intended for the same.
By the way, anybody see how that "Howdy Doody" glove his $400 plus on eBay? Crossover popularity. Big laugh from "Double Duty" Ratcliff and my friends when I introduced myself to him at one of his local signings as "Howdy Doody" Joe. little did I know there was a glove of Howdy's out there.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion