Hello and Happy New Year.

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hello and Happy New Year.

Postby Mike**Mize » December 30th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Hi Guys,
I finally got around to registering today and I'm looking forward to the dialog. My name is Mike Johnson. I live in northern Manhattan (NYC), up past the George Washington Bridge in a small almost forgotten little oasis called Hudson Heights. Out our back window we can see the lights of Yankee Stadium when they're playing at night as well as the tower of the high school once attended by Manny Ramierez. It's just a great spot to live especially for a baseball fan.
I've been collecting old ballgloves seriously for about six years. A photo of part of my collection was featured in The Glove Collector a few issues back. It's been a wild ride. I played hardball and softball for years. I pitched, caught and played a lot of first and occasionally some third, so I'm interested in all kinds of gloves. Over the years my focus has gone from the 70's & back as far as I could go, to a collection much more focused on the teens through the late forties. I'm something of an opportunist, so if I have a shot at a great 40's glove I'll go after it even if I'd much rather pick up something older. Not long ago I had a chance to pick up a nice old Nokona G57 two finger model. Eventhough that's not really my focus these days, I wasn't about to pass that one up. I think the strongest part of my collection is the 40's. At one point last spring I happened into a really nice old Ken-Wel Johnny Mize base mitt and then oddly a beautiful Wilson Top-of-the-Line early Mize mitt in a span of about 6 days. It was then that I decided to claim an ID with a tribute to the original Big Cat.

I've got two beautiful young daughters and an understanding wife. This past August I experienced being laid off after working at the same magazine publishing business for 33 years. It was pure economics US style salary lopping, and gruesome for the first few months. So I've gone from being a 9 to 5'er to being a work at home artist/painter and glove collector along with being the kids homework organizer and helpmate. It's been pure bliss at times. How many Dads really get to get close with their kids on a daily basis?

Anyway, Happy New Year, everyone.

Mike
Last edited by Mike**Mize on December 31st, 2006, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 30th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Welcome Mike!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion