Right vs Left

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Right vs Left

Postby burker72 » December 30th, 2006, 5:19 am

I think one of the more remarkable, and puzzling, trends in our hobby is the unwillingness of collector's to pay equal premiums for left-handed gloves. This thought came to mind when looking at an ebay auction for a Rawlings Bob Turley TG-24 Trap-eze model glove. There are 17 hours left in the auction with 0 bids. Granted the opening bid is $259, but I'm not sure I've seen a nicer glove for auction. If right handed, I'd say this glove is a sure bet to hit...$600-$800(?)

I know I definitely wouldn't buy a left handed glove with a middle infielder or third baseman endorsement - that doesn't make any sense. But Turley was a pitcher, and with the glove in such premium condition, I can't understand the lack of interest. Then again, I'm not bidding on the glove either...

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Lefty vs. righty

Postby crackofthebat » December 30th, 2006, 7:32 am

Being right handed (at least when throwing a baseball) I have always collected right handed gloves. In my collection I only have 2 left handed gloves - a Reach double buckle 1B mitt and a Joe Jackson 1B mitt. I have a number of HOF 1B mitts and only bought the Jackson because it was so cheap. Someday I would like to replace it with a right-handed model. Putting a left handed glove on just doesn't feel right!!!!
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

same here Fred

Postby mjkm90 » December 30th, 2006, 10:03 am

I raaaaaaaaarely purchase a left handed glove unless extremely inexpensive, endorsed by a left handed player, or very rare and cheap. Right is right as my father always said.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby V-Anchored » December 30th, 2006, 11:17 am

That glove is certainly a beauty. But I've got this mental thing that even if I am buying a glove for display only, I want to know that if I really wanted to I could put it on and go out and use it.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby spedrunr » December 30th, 2006, 3:59 pm

yup, lefties definitely have it made when buying top-o-the-line old school baseball gloves. but they pay waaaayyy more when it comes to other purchases (golf clubs, guitars, scissors :)
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion