Hello from Indiana

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hello from Indiana

Postby V-Anchored » December 28th, 2006, 9:27 pm

My name is Jim and I have been a "glove fanatic" ever since my grandpa bought me my first glove (Grady Hatton model) when I was a little kid. My first good glove was a Rawlings TG24 Bob Turley model that I bought in 1961 and luckily still have. I sent it back to Rawlings in the late 70's to have the inner palm replaced. My main interests are Rawlings V-Anchored web models and also Heart of the Hide models. So I guess that would make the early 60's Warren Spahn XPG-3 my ideal glove. I hope to add one of these to my collection one of these days. I've also been on the lookout for a Rawlings HH model but now that I've read about this model being rissued in the spring I may wait on one of those. I learned about this forum from the latest Glove Collector newsletter (you do a great job Joe!!) and have been busy the past couple of days trying to digest every post on here. A lot of great info. It's wonderful to have access to all of the knowledge that you all have.
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » December 28th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Welcome Jim!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby spedrunr » December 30th, 2006, 6:20 pm

hi jim, welcome to the flock. i too am strangely drawn to any v-anchored rawlings HOH. it looks cool and is usually indicative of a high-end glove. i've noticed that on a few of my older HOH's, the leather is softened on the fingers where the v-anchoring is looped thru and the leather seems stressed, stretched or in one case, the finger was folded over the welting due to the amount of strain that is put on the laces when you catch a ball. it does create a cool clean look to the back of the glove and there are less holes drilled completely through to the inside of the glove for securing the web.

but i suppose the other side of the coin would be laces pulled through the lace holes of the web crotch on models that don't have the v-anchoring

ed
spedrunr
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby V-Anchored » December 30th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Hey Ed,

Thanks for the post. When I was a kid, I always thought the V-Anchored gloves looked so cool on the ballcards. I only have 2 in my "collection", a Bob Dillinger BD and an Eddie Mathews HG98.

All the best,

Jim
V-Anchored
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » December 31st, 2006, 12:41 am

These have to be my all time favorites, I have many (never enough) V-Anchor webbed Rawlings, and Spalding's in my collection.

I would love to see Rawlings re-introduce this lace design......

Mike
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion