Who Used a 3?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Who Used a 3?

Postby Rickybulldog » December 21st, 2006, 2:53 pm

I am sure most of us thumb through baseball books and old photos and examine the equipment/gloves that the players were using. One particular glove that I find of interest is the Lutzke type/ 3 finger. This particular glove I've seen pitchers and infielders use. My favorite thing to do is when people come over my house (baseball fans who are non glove folks) is to show them a particular glove make/model and tell them what former major leaguer used that type/style of glove. I know there is a picture of Rogers Hornsby using a 3 finger and I just stumbled across a photo in a book that shows second basemen Max Bishop of the Philadelphia Athletics using one. I know players like Ehmke, Hornsby, Mails, and Jimmie Reese had 3 finger endorsements. Also, Rawlings had a Doak Model and in 1931 Wilson advertised a Chas. Ruffing 3 . I also located a copy of a Ken Wel advertisement for a Fonseca.
Any others? Does anyone else have pictures of stars using a 3 finger?
Here is a pic of Bishop. I will post my D&M ad, Wilson ad, and Ken Wel.

http://hometown.aol.com/rickybulldog/Bishop.html
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

my thoughts

Postby softball66 » December 21st, 2006, 6:33 pm

Ricky, good post. From my senior memory I'm thinking Ken Wel may have issued a Jess Haines 3 finger. Also I sold that Jack Russell 3-finger glove on eBay last year which gives us two more player name store models. I'm thinking that years ago I saw a picture of "Lefty" Grove using a 3-finger glove.
softball66

Who used a 3?

Postby Rickybulldog » December 21st, 2006, 8:26 pm

Hello Joe. Right you are. I do remember seeing you sell the Jack Russell glove on ebay awhile back and Jesse Haines was another endorser. :D Your post brought a smile to my face because I too saw either "Lefty" Grove or "Lefty" Gomez using a 3 in a picture and I wasn't sure if I was going crazy or not. I'll try to locate it. Also, I found 5 3finger ads that I will post later on so people can see the pics. They are from Rawlings, Wilson, Ken Wel, D&m, and Spalding. Take care..........................RBD
Rickybulldog

Pre-War Three Fingers

Postby ebbets55 » December 21st, 2006, 9:54 pm

Hey Ricky,

Glad you're aboard. I'm sure you'll add a ton of great input to this site. I love this topic. In addition to the ones listed above, Carl Mays endorsed a Goldsmith, Lloyd "Sprout" Waner and Walter Maranville endorsed a Spalding, Jessie Haines endorsed a JC Higgins, Chas. Ruffing endorsed Thos. E. Wilson, Lou Fonseca was Ken Wel, Hornsby was also on Horace Partridge, Jimmy Dykes endorsed A.J. Reach, Nokona had Walter Engle, Rawlings had Duster Mails & Bill Doak, Howard Ehmke & Walter Lutzke were D&M to name a few off the top of my head. I'll have to go check my list when I get home tonight.

Let me know if anyone wants to see any pictures of pre-war 3's. I still have a dozen or so after all those trades. I'm looking to upgrade my Goldsmith and am searching for the elusive Stall & Dean and Lowe & Campbell. Will trade big if anyone comes up with those two.

JD
ebbets55

Who used a 3?

Postby Rickybulldog » December 22nd, 2006, 3:35 am

Hey JD,
Thanks for your post. I was hoping to hear from you. I hope your family is doing well and I hope you have a great Christmas. I put the 3 finger glove ads on a webpage so people can check them out. I'll give you and Rob a copy when I see you guys again. These particular ad copies I got a couple years ago from a collector who I traded some gloves with. I think his handle was glover3, but I could be mistaken. Anywho, enjoy! The Ken Wel is interesting because it is advertised as a Fonseca but the signature on the glove is Adolfo Luque.
http://hometown.aol.com/rickybulldog/3fingerads.html

Also, anybody who has vintage gloves to trade/sell email me or visit my site [url]http://hometown.aol.com/rickybulldog/index.html[url][/url]
Rickybulldog

Who used a 3?

Postby Rickybulldog » December 22nd, 2006, 3:38 am

I put my site in incorrectly, just hit the www button below my post....RBD
Rickybulldog

3's

Postby ebbets55 » December 22nd, 2006, 12:58 pm

Great catalogue pages. I love seeing those. Above, I incorrectly noted that Nokona was Walter Engle, I meant Charlie Engle. I'm losing my mind at 37.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. Let's get the guys together after the new year. It's been awhile.

JD
ebbets55

Postby vintagebrett » December 23rd, 2006, 9:03 am

Great post guys - I'm learning a lot!

A little off topic but I received a baseball book from a coworker for Christmas and as I was looking at the pages I noticed there is a picture of Joe Medwick with a rolled lace web a a la Red Rolfe - I wonder how many players used this type of web?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion