Speaking of Vintage Spalding Gloves...

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby BretMan » December 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm

(Well, Glove-Works was on another thread...)

Has anyone had a chance to try one of these "hands-on". Or should that be "hands-in"?

"New" Vintage A.G. Spalding Gloves
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » December 18th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Love the look of the 11.25" TraPocket model. A 12" might be more useful, but the TraPocket appears to be the closest to our early 60s favorites. Looking forward to the Rawlings 'throwbacks' too!
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

AG S

Postby glove-works » December 18th, 2006, 6:29 pm

I have one on the way.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » December 18th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Does anyone know when the new Rawlings vintage style gloves are going to be released? If they are anything like the Spaldings are I will be ordering one to try it out.
drasher81

Postby BretMan » December 19th, 2006, 10:50 am

The 12.75" model looks like it would be great for softball. Love the "one-piece" web that looks like one of the old MacGregor Fieldmaster gloves. (Check out the link.)

12.75" Model

This might be another one of those gloves that I buy with the intent of using it for games, then when I get it it's so darn pretty that I don't want to get it dirty!

By the way, MVALZ, I had one of your gloves on my eBay "Watch List" and could really kick myself for forgetting about it until after the auction ended.

It was that odd "spider web" MacGregor softball glove. I bought one of those new around 1980 and used it until it fell apart! I still have it and it is servicable after being re-laced, but it looks terrible and the lining is shot.

Back in those days, if I had known then what I know now about glove care, it would probably still be looking good. I heavily over-oiled the thing and, if I recall, even slathered it in mink oil a couple of times. Plus, using it for about 12 seasons didn't help matters! The leather on this one is fairly well disintergrated.

That "spider web" really trapped a ball well and the three-finger design seemed to close really easy. I loved that glove!

Oddly, while the glove I had is almost 100% identical, it did have a few minor differences from the one in your auction. The model number was "SB4" (I think that yours was "MG60"?) and mine did not have a circular cloth patch on the back of the web- just a printed MacGregor logo.

I did manage to find one of these at a flea market back awhile ago, but it is not as nice as the one you had for sale.
Last edited by BretMan on December 20th, 2006, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » December 19th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the interest! The Spider was a 'Play it Again Sports' find that I picked up because I knew someone out there would love the quirky web and three finger design.

The last thing I need is another 'shelf glove'. I'm hoping Mike comes back to us with a review of his 'vintage' Spalding with word that its well built and ready to take to the diamond!
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion