Got A Question

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Got A Question

Postby mudman » December 17th, 2006, 2:01 am

What defines a really special top shelf collection. Quality or quanity? Now I am talking about special impressive collections.

Myself I think that it is not how many gloves you have, but how many really neat ones you own.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

some decisions on what you want

Postby softball66 » December 17th, 2006, 5:30 pm

Of course, first rule is collect what you like, and this varies from person to person. If you're collecting for an investment reason then other decisions may need to be made or a combination of both could satisfy.
The question I'm hearing on the forum is what is the sine qua non of gloves? we should have as sort of a "Type Set" collection. Landmark gloves include
fingerless, workman, crescent, Doak, Ken Wel Vance, Trapper, zipper mitts, moulded catchers mitts, etc. And you could add some sub sets like the Sisler, King Patent, full flat web, 1 inch web, plus maybe some other for the first 75 years of glove wearing. I try to view these as addiitons if I was showing or demonstrating glove evolution.
Then there are the "player name" collections where you might want to get the prominent or all of the hall of fame players or combine them into your favorite team.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion