Glove Question

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Glove Question

Postby Rickybulldog » December 16th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Hello All!
Recently, I picked up an old vertical tunnel loop baseball glove from a local antique store. After getting home and inspecting it more I noticed some stamping. It says Stall and Dean in script on the back of the thumb and I can make out some of the model number 8(?)(6)6 (I believe) and I see what looks like remnants of a signature. Knowing that this is a high end glove for the time with rolled piping I'm assuming that it is possibly endorsed. I am curious if anyone has any info or have a similar glove with the same model number. Thanks.... Ricky
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Speed Model?

Postby softball66 » December 17th, 2006, 5:21 pm

This is likely not a speed model (has the title and logo of ballplayer on the speed model gloves) but the Speed Models of the late 1920s have a lot of the top players on them: Cobb, Speaker, etc. sort of a famous player series by Stall & Dean. S&D used an 8 first four digit numbers for many years and these can be found the in the Glove Catalog source book. 33 catalog had several 8 with 6s including Hack Wilson.
softball66

Postby Rickybulldog » December 17th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info Joe.
I've always enjoyed your newsletter over the years. You're right by saying it's not a Speed model. I checked when I first got it and it lacked the stamping of a speed model on the heel as well as the reccomendation which usually is on the back of the thumb. I've always loved this on the stall and dean speed models because it has 2 signatures by the same player. At one time I had a GC. Alexander speed model that lacked a patch(no evidence of one) which was neat because most speed models I've seen have had the S&D patch. I doubt it was rare just a lower quality perhaps. Anywho, I'm still trying to bring out a signature, but thanks for providing me with some endorsers. It looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy another catalog since I lost mine. Have a great holiday.............................................Ricky
Rickybulldog

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion