1930s Double Finger Lacing Gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby drasher81 » November 29th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Picked this one up online and was pleased to add it to my Goldsmith collection. I have never seen any other like it. It is a VM model which should be stamped as a Valdez as pictured above in the post by ebbets55. The odd thing with this glove is that it is a Billy Werber model...I know Werber gloves are not that rare, but I believe that this one is at the higher end of the spectrum as the quality of the glove is outstanding. I would appreciate any info on this model if its out there.
drasher81

Re: 1930s Double Finger Lacing Gloves

Postby mikesglove » February 23rd, 2014, 12:33 am

The Ken-Wel 1927 laced finger patent specifically placed the lacing grommets at the back of the finger stalls. Rawlings countered this design by applying for a patent on their own laced finger glove in 1927. It took Rawlings four full years to get their patent approved. Coming on the heels of the Ken-Wel design, Rawlings met resistance that their design was different enough from the ken-Wel glove patent since both had the same goal of closing the fingers more easily around a caught ball. The Rawlings patent of 1931 is shown below and the most obvious change is the placement of the lacing in the front portion of the finger stalls.

Rawlings inventor William Whitley argued that the front placement of the finger lacing was an improvement in two ways. First, a caught ball would not cause the lacing to cramp or pinch the fingers and second, the parallel placement of the lacing holes allowed the finger stalls to slide sideways, improving dexterity. The patent examiners ultimately agreed and the patent was issued. The Rawling's design never really took hold and there are few example of it today. Below is one however and it shows the lacing pattern very well. This is a glove I would be interested in purchasing or trading for a nice zipper heel glove if a forum member/visitor reads this post.

mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 4th, 2014, 2:09 pm

A 1936 catalog page featuring some interesting Goldsmith gloves including the "Bill Werber" model

mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » May 13th, 2014, 11:43 am

Below is another example of a Rawlings double laced glove with the patented forward facing finger lacing. This one is a "Billy Herman" model BH and was a top of the line glove in its day.

mikesglove

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion