1930s Double Finger Lacing Gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

1930s Double Finger Lacing Gloves

Postby softball66 » November 19th, 2006, 11:51 am

8) See the discussion on Brett's Billy Herman Rawlings double-finger-laced glove in the "Today I Found" section of the forum. There is discussed the possible first use of double finger lacing pattern by Rawlings. This sent me to the catalog archives in search of the Goldsmith Valdez Modelo which utilized a double-laced finger design as early as 1934. "Modelo", we think, translates "model" in Spanish and that might mean that the Goldsmith Valdez glove might have had its origins in Mexico. The Valdez model lacing ends on the third or ring finger and does not involve the pinkie or little finger. It may tie off in the single tunnel loop web.
The description on the glove reads: "This popular model has a patented lacing device for adjusting the fingers and the ball pocket. A leather lace which joins the first, second and third fingers permits the wearer to adjust the glove to suit his own individual taste."
The laced fingers idea we believe began with the Ken Wel pattern which emitted in the early 1920s. Various double lacing followed by other manufactuers with slight tweaks to possibly avoid patent infringement.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » November 19th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I wonder if Rawlings had the lacing go through the front of the glove to avoid that patent infringement?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Valdez Model

Postby ebbets55 » November 19th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Joe,

Attached is a Valdez Model to help illustrate what you are talking about. I think it is a bit later than you are referring to but the lacing confirms what you are saying. Great post. Thanks.

JD

ebbets55

Great Shot Ebbetts!

Postby softball66 » November 19th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Perfect Jim. That puts us on the "road to understanding." The xerox copied Goldsmith catalog didn't show much detail on the back. Now, do the laces in the middle fingers tie off below... near the wrist opening? Any connection to the web lacing? Notice how Goldsmith reinforced the back of the lower fingers where the laces drop down.
Interesting point by Brett wondering whether the lace holes were placed differently from the Ken Wel to avoid a patent problem? Could be.
:lol:
softball66

BH

Postby glove-works » November 19th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Still think the lack of grommets makes it questionable...but who knows?
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Cool gloves

Postby stockbuddy » November 20th, 2006, 12:20 am

That Rawlings glove is a cool one. So is the Valdez glove. Not sure how that patent infrigement works with a glove. They both have the Vance styling. Maybe Kenwel should be upset with both of them. LOL The web styles are a bit different on the gloves being the Rawlings is an H web with a "Doak poke" in the index finger and the Valdez is a double tunnel with double vertical tunnel loops. Both very cool gloves nonetheless. Great that Joe has some extra resources to pull from. I would have been like Mike thinking that the Rawlings would have likely been done by an owner, even though they were very good at doing it, so it would seem. On the other hand, Joe's research seems to find it as a factory job. Great discussion on these gloves. Brett, very nice find. Jim, I like that Valdez glove too. vbg :)
stockbuddy

Postby vintagebrett » November 20th, 2006, 10:26 am

Maybe the lack of grommets is another way to avoid patent infringement?

Speaking of copyright, etc? Does anyone know if Rawlings, or any other company, has ever considered reproducing their past catalogs in electronic or book form? I for one think that this would be a great reference tool.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

More Digging on early finger lacers

Postby softball66 » November 20th, 2006, 1:38 pm

I pulled out one of my "extra covers" of Ryan Petty's "What Smart Dealers Know About Baseball Gloves" that I have and it features the patent illustration of the Kennedy et al patent on the Ken Wel laced finger
prototype. It was filed on July 3, 1925 and there's a June 7, 1927 granted date (I believe) and patent # of 1,631,735. I've got a couple of these left if anyone wants to buy 'em. The lacing looks like it--starts or ends-- ties off in the ring or third finger, extends--left to right-- across and through the forefinger and forms a webbing into the thumb, under and down and back across into the forefinger and ties off on the middle finger. It was patented by Bert and Philip Kennedy. It shows the back side of the glove with those welted vertical and diagonal seams. 8)
softball66

Postby drasher81 » November 20th, 2006, 1:55 pm

I have attached a some photos of more unique laced gloves which show the back of finger lacing through grommets. The first is a D&M Joe Cronin, the second is a glove which i cant seem to find too much information on. It is a Nokona G47 Higgins model but has the very unique feature of the laced fingers though the back, I have never run into another one of these. Maybe Joe can shed some light on this Nokona model.
drasher81

Higgins doublelace fingers G47

Postby softball66 » November 20th, 2006, 3:30 pm

The Higgins G47 showed up first in 1949 and continued through 1954 but, I believe, that it started with the double lacing then went to a single lacing but let me check on that.
So why...after 25 years and after the double laced fingers went out of style, did Bob Storey revitalize the model (perhaps because the patent rights had expired)? Lace fingers were just beginning to be popularized in the late 1940s and Bob may have thrown this one up on the line like he did the Joe Jackson glove about the same time.
You don't see too many of these Higgins double lace gloves.
softball66

Postby glove-works » November 21st, 2006, 4:06 pm

I still have yet to see another glove with the factory laces on the front side of the fingers/welting.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

odd lacing

Postby Bleacher Bum » November 21st, 2006, 5:53 pm

This glove has lacing on the front, however they do not look to be factory. It is a D&M, however I do not know if they ever produced a glove with this lacing or if it was done by the owner??
Bleacher Bum
Rookie Glove Poster

model #

Postby softball66 » November 21st, 2006, 9:41 pm

Does your D&M have a model #? DG? Looks like an early to mid '40s. If so I can look it up perhaps in one of the D&M catalogs.
Looks like a grommet in the little finger?
softball66

OK Mfg Double Laced glove with grommets, lace up back

Postby burker72 » November 23rd, 2006, 1:23 am

Thought I'd add another example into the mix...Below are pics of my OK Brand Ken Keltner model. It features the double lacing with grommets and a lace up back. The glove is super-soft, is made of very good leather, and even the wool lining is still in place under the wrist straps. I think most interesting are the grommets on the pinky, which wrap around, almost to the front of the glove.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

One of may favs. Dazzy Vance

Postby mjkm90 » November 23rd, 2006, 10:21 am

Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion