Compare Top Rawlings Gloves Mid 1950s

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Compare Top Rawlings Gloves Mid 1950s

Postby softball66 » August 2nd, 2008, 5:57 pm

I think most forum members will enjoy this side by side comparison of the famous Rawlings Harvey Haddix HH personal model glove with its successor the HSP Herb Score personal model. The HH was introduced to retail customers in 1955 but Willie Mays made his famous catch in the World Series of 1954 with an HH which means that the major leaguers had it a year earlier. The HH succeeded the Mort Cooper as Rawlings' biggest glove, a pitcher/oufielder model.
Years ago when I interviewed Elmer Blasco, then Rawlings marketing manager, he said tha, in the early 1950s, Rawlings was a little concerned that MacGregor was making a glove that seemed to be longer than 12 inches, exceeding the major league rule at that time, probably referring to MacGregor's GBC or its Ewell Blackwell model G110. So the HH with its contoured deep pocket was Rawlings partial answer.
You can see from the pictures that the HSP which came along to retail in 1957 was a bigger version of the HH with some changes such as slightly longer finger stalls, about 1/2" to 3/4" longer 4" to 4 3/4" but also the finger stalls are wider. The HSP appears to be an inch longer than the HH but with a tape measure it appears only about 1/2" to 3/4 difference. The HSP feels deeper when the hand goes in compared to the HH. The pocket, at least on this HSP, seems to be flatter than the HH probably due to the play its received as Kenny Jenkins re-laced and refurbished the HH
for us.
Notice on the inside of the HSP the extra lacing on the forefinger.
I thought our glovers would like to have a look at the two, side-by-side.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion