Syracuse, NY Collectorsfest

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Syracuse, NY Collectorsfest

Postby burker72 » October 27th, 2006, 4:54 pm

This Sunday is the "Collectorsfest" in Syracuse, NY at the State Fairgrounds. This is the second time I've gone to this show. Just wanted to check and see if anyone on the board was in the CNY area and would be attending.

Unfortunately I don't have very high expectations. It is really a card show (I'm trying to finish up my '73 Topps PSA set). Last time I attended I did see a Rawlings Mickey Mantle GJ99 model though...The best part was that it was "only" $150. Never mind that it needed to be completely re-laced. I passed.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » October 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm

....was it the elusive lefty GJ99? Maybe I'll drive up :lol:
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

The lefty Mantle

Postby burker72 » October 27th, 2006, 10:51 pm

No, no, it was righty - this guy only had high end material. I am driving from Buffalo. If you are in the area and want to car pool let me know.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Collectorsfest Update

Postby burker72 » November 9th, 2006, 8:15 am

A grand disappointment. There were probably 75 dealers and in all, 2 gloves. The "best" of which was a Rawlings RBG90 Reggie Jackson model. This is promoted as a card show for the most part, but people bring all sorts of stuff, but no leather.

I still find it remarkable how much autographed material is out there. I'm not sure people are buying it, but I just find it difficult to trust its legitimacy after recent federal busts and the negative press that is associated with that line of business.

On the up side, Oscar Gamble, Bill Lee, and Bernie Carbo were there signing autographs. I was able to stick around the Bill Lee table for a while and was pleasantly surprised. He had always impressed me, at least in interviews, as a surly recluse with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. But listening to him talk to some of the autograph seekers he was very cordial, actually listened to people, shared plenty of stories, and even talked about the senior wooden bat league he plays in up in New Hampsire (or was it Vermont?). I kind of wish I had a Graig Nettles model glove for him to sign, maybe we would have seen a little of the Bill Lee I was expecting.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion