Your Most Interesting Vintage Tags

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Your Most Interesting Vintage Tags

Postby vintagebrett » June 29th, 2008, 11:03 am

One of my favorite things about glove collecting are the neat tags that many manufacturers attached. We've all seen the Rawlings, Spaldings, etc. of the vintage world but what are your rarest/most interesting ones. Here are some of mine:

Andrus & Nadele Sporting Goods, Hartford, CT - have not come across another one of these. The glove isn't in the greatest shape but I love it because there are not too many vintage gloves with CT tags.

Bean Bros., Freeport, ME - This is the original LL Bean company and one of my favorite gloves. There is a glove at the store in Freeport that has a little different tag than this one

J.A. Dubow, Chicago, IL - common glove maker but I've not seen another tag like this one. I love the color and script writing. Again, not a great glove, but the tag makes it a keeper for me.

Strawbridge Clothiers Sporting Goods - haven't figured out where this store was located yet. Looks good on the glove.

Jack Shannon Co. Sporting Goods, Chicago, IL - This is one of my favorite tags. My wife did some summer work right near the address on this tag on summer during her college years. I also like the images on it.

Horace Partridge, Boston, MA - probably the earliest tag, although I like the later one with the bird better. I like this one because of the clear, block printing.

Dave Cook, Denver, CO - 1950's glove with a neat tag. I like the big, bold vibrant colors.

Bill Powell Sports Shop, Inc. - Great look on this Geo. A Reach glove.

Oregon Athletic Equipment Co. - One of my favorite tags, this is on a MacGregor glove. Love the mountain scenery.

Sports Centre Athletic Goods, Hartford, CT - another CT tag for me, not that exciting looking but it's a keeper for me.

James Brine Co, Boston, MA - I like this tag for the fact that it's neat and because there is another one underneath that I don't know what it is.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Brotherray » June 29th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Very cool Brett... 8)
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

!

Postby wjr953 » June 29th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Bret,
Really interesting tags & great pix too! Cool stuff.

br
wjr953

Postby vintagebrett » June 30th, 2008, 9:23 am

Here is another one that I traded a while back to get a nice Sonnett glove.

Vulcan Athletic Goods, Birmingham, AL - this tag was very large and in excellent shape. Never seen another one like it.

All right, I'm waiting for the rest of you guys to post yours! :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Would You Believe this patch

Postby softball66 » June 30th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Brett, I couldn't resist. I got this glove years ago but it's one of my prizes.
Who would have thought Phillips Sporting Goods would have a glove with their patch on it. Don't know where the SG store was. This is a 60s Japan import, heavy pebble leather, not bad. Not indication of a town or city.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby THELUCKYDOGKIND » June 30th, 2008, 6:49 pm

3 NICE LABELS. WRIGHT AND DITSON TENNIS PLAYER PATCH ON A 1920'S GLOVE. WINN WELL LABEL WITH HORESHOE PATCH AND THE ALWAYS NICE THOS. WILSON.[img][img]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/THELUCKYDOGKIND/2008ALLSTARSWAREAGLES001.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/THELUCKYDOGKIND/2008ALLSTARSWAREAGLES003.jpg[/img][/img]
THELUCKYDOGKIND
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » July 2nd, 2008, 12:03 am

No pic immediately available (what the HECK did I do with that camera?!), but I have my late uncle's 1950's Hurricane Trophy Model fielder's glove. An interesting tag on it: white with an embroidered red palm tree blowing in the gale, "Hurricane" in an action-type font, and "Trophy Model" also in red. When I find that camera, pics are on the way! :lol:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby robin_buckeye » May 5th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Hey Cowboy -- we're still waiting for those pics!
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

a few more tags

Postby cbrandis » May 6th, 2009, 2:02 pm

tags from a couple of chicago-based companies
[img][img]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/cbrandis/004.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image

and a couple of canadian glove providers
[img][img]http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/cbrandis/007.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
cbrandis
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 6th, 2009, 7:23 pm

The May and Malone is quite cool. Now i have another tag to add to my wantlist. Thanks for sharing.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby cubsrno1 » May 6th, 2009, 7:51 pm

Here's a very interesting P. Goldsmith & son tag. Its a little dirty but its the only one I have seen so far.

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd34/jrtobillo/Goldsmith011.jpg[/img][/img]
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Re: Your Most Interesting Vintage Tags

Postby Bill247 » December 27th, 2012, 7:52 pm

I just picked up a Warren Spahn endorsed Vulcan Athletic Goods glove because I uses to live in Birmingham. Drove through that neighborhood many times on my way to see the Birmingham Barons at Rickwood field. My glove is rough, but the markings are clear. "Vulcan-Bilt", "100". Great label that runs perpendicular to the strap, not parallel like Brett's. The fingers have the double, parallel lacing that look factory designed. The statue on the patch represents Vulcan, the Roman god of the forge, a symbol of the importance that steel meant to the City and surrronding area. The statue was atop Red Mountain, named for the iron of which it was made. For many years Vulcan's torch was red when there had been a traffic fatality, green to other times. Enough history. Thanks, in advance for any thoughs on the glove. I'll post pictures if she cleans up nicely.
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Bill247 » January 20th, 2013, 9:03 pm

[*]Image[*]Image[*]
Here's the Vulcan 100 Warren Spahn with label after the clean up. Any of y'all have a guess on the maker?
Bill247
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 20th, 2013, 9:27 pm

My guess would be Hutch
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » January 20th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Brett, the Strawbridges and Clothier glove, patch was a Philadelphia Department store from the 1800's to about 1995 when Macy's brought them out
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion