Mexican made Wilson's and other gloves....Pinedo, Hercules..

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Mexican made Wilson's and other gloves....Pinedo, Hercules..

Postby drasher81 » October 18th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Recently I have gravitated toward picking up some more splitfingers made by some of the Mexican glove companies. I have a handful of these already and was hoping that someone would be able to give me some insight into the manufacturers. Do any catalogues still exist with lists of the gloves produced? I know that Wilson was making gloves under the Wilson/Victoria name, but did any other companies have separate divisions south of the boarder as well? I have a Bill Doak model which was made by Pinedo, It is very much unlike its American brother in that it is a Dazzy Vance design with the first three fingers laced. I have posted on this glove already if you search it you will see pics of what I mean. Other brand like Hercules have the same button as the Wilsons, were these also made by them? Any information on these Mexican companies would be appreciated. I would also love to see some pics if anyone has some of these in their collection and are willing to share some images of them.
drasher81

Mexican Splitfinger Gloves

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Josh, I'm glad to see someone else who likes Mexican gloves. I don't know much more than what you already said other than my experience with the 10 or so that I have is that they are all very high quality and very well made but the leathers are stiffer, more like a cowhide or a steerhide. Although the leather quality appears to be inferior, the craftmanship certainly doesn't. They all have cool buttons. This Bull Dog Model is one of my favorites. It says Bee Hive Brand on the shiny brass button.

ebbets55
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:09 pm

ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Two different H.B. Doc Hughes Models

ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Two different Pinedo gloves. The second one has a wing tip back and a black tag.

ebbets55

Mexican Gloves

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:19 pm

These two infielders models have the biggest tags on them that I have ever seen. The black glove is a Pirata brand and the brown glove is a Seyer brand. Love the huge tags.

ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » October 18th, 2006, 11:25 pm

And you have to love the big ol' Wilson Victoria.

ebbets55

Postby drasher81 » October 19th, 2006, 11:27 am

Geat gloves. The Pinedo gloves I have seen which were endorsed were all players you typically would see on Rawlings gloves. The Doak is probably my favorite Mexican gloves I only wish the lining was better, but I love that it is a buckleback. The Bill Doak stamping is even in the same font that you would see on an early Rawlings Doak. I have also seen 2 George Sisler basemitts made by Pinedo one of these on Ebay. I kinda kick myself everytime I think of it for not picking at least 1 of them up. The Sisler makes me think even more that Pinedo might have been Rawlings South of the Boarder equivilant.
Like you had said there is quality in these gloves, but the leather just isnt the same it seems much coarser and thicker than the horsehide I am used to. Thanks for the pics its good to know someone else out there has an appreciation for these often overlooked gloves.

drasher81

Doc Hughes

Postby softball66 » October 20th, 2006, 9:00 am

I know you guys would be interested to know what happened but many of these Mexican made gloves showed up in this country during WWII when the U.S. Makers were making gloves or whatever (bomber jackets) for the military and were forbidden by contract to make gloves for retail sales.
This forced distributors (and companies) to turn south of the border, down Mexico way, for glove making. H. B. "Doc" Hughes, the distributor for the southwest for Nocona and other companies, travelled into Mexico to see if he could find someone to make some gloves for his regional sales. I think he took the Nokona G12 pattern to use. He wrote a chapter about all this (yes, somewhere I have it) in his autobiographical book.
But his gloves show up on occasion today. I bought several way back and put one in the Nocona museum. He mentioned that Wilson rep was also in Mexico at that time and you can bet that Rawlings had someone in the Pinedo plant there.
I think I've got the spelling right but Rolin is a Mexican glove making company that's been around for years and has made some Rawlings knockoffs. At one time, it had a distribution point in North Texas. There are some others too. The Mexican craftsmen turn out some beautiful gloves.
I've got a nicely made modern Soto 1b mitt and will try to get a pic of it posted for us.
Meanwhile let's not forget the Goldsmith Valdez Modelo of the mid-1930s. Or the Martin Dihigo glove that turned up made in Mexico.
Johnny Mize once said that Dihigo was the greatest ballplayer he'd ever seen.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion