Taking suggestions for Nocona

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Taking suggestions for Nocona

Postby softball66 » October 17th, 2006, 11:59 am

I visited with Rob Storey at Nocona yesterday. They are planning to build a new building at the site of the burned plant once everything is cleared away.
One of the ideas they had for their new edifice was to consider a design of a ball park facade. They also plan to have a little field adjacent where guys who visis their retail store there can throws the balls for a little catch with their new gloves, etc.
I'm sure Rob would welcome any suggestions for their planning, with the any of the above.
Just drop me a line at email: glovecol@earthlink.net
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

HI Joe

Postby Mike**Mize » January 18th, 2007, 10:16 am

When I wrote up my little reply yesterday and was about to type in Ristankor I realized that that would be giving away one of the answers to the quiz, so I *'ed it out. Nokona's old player portraits and cartoons really are something. Perhaps Rob S. should include a small archive room or museum space in there new plant. I would love to know more about how they came up with those very simple but elegant player portraits and the very expressive cartoons. Who was the artist? Are the originals still around? Can you imagine having a framed original of that ristankor fielder hanging on your wall. I grew up fascinated by both baseball and drawing. Whoever did these was clearly gifted. I'd love to see more of his work.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

thanks for idea

Postby softball66 » January 18th, 2007, 1:16 pm

I just heard from Rob yesterday on the new museum room. He's looking to buy some glove or take donations of some of the old gloves. They were only able to rescue about half of their existing glove room. I'm taking some donations of mine up this month for them, gloves and artwork. They will try and contact Jerrold Booher's friend who advertised nokonas in last newsletter. So please get the word out.
Jim Huff handled Nocona's advertising before I got there in 1976. He was an artist who worked out of Dallas and a lot of the artwork, cartoons etc. might be his. Some of it I know was his especially the nice Nocona catalog covers. They had framed a lot of the art of Jim's and some we were involved with on their office walls. Don't know if these got saved or not.
Nocona also plans to build a little practice field besides the new plant so guys can try the various gloves out. I know Louisville Slugger has a giant bat in front of their place. Any ideas out there like this??
:idea:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion