Replica Rawlings Gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Replica Rawlings Gloves

Postby drasher81 » October 10th, 2006, 1:04 pm

While the topic of the reissued XPG3 is still fresh on my mind it reminds me of something I saw at the Ra wlings store that I visited not too long ago. It is a large commercial outlet that has pretty much any of their gloves at a discounted price including many HOH models some which are pretty hard to find. I have also seen player only models in the past that were stamped BLEM because of stiching problems, mainly the piping might not be exactly correct. Inside the store they have a room which shows how a glove is made and a entire wall of Game Models from current GOLD GLOVE winning players. These are EXACT with name in thumb and all. It concerns me that these might make there way to the public and eventually be passed as a Gamer. The other interesting thing which they had was a history of Rawlings gloves, and of course modern made duplicates of some of their most famous gloves. The one that stood out was a personal model Mantle glove and a replica first pattern Bill Doak. I dont know if they will but hopefully Rawlings will mark these in some way if they decide to issue them to the public.
drasher81

Postby BretMan » October 10th, 2006, 1:53 pm

That sounds like a great place to visit!

Where is this Rawlings store located? St. Louis, maybe? I would love to see that.

This past summer I went to a Cleveland Indians game and Rawlings has a small booth there where they demonstrate glove, ball and bat making. One popular display item was a huge 60" pattern HOH glove, complete with all the stampings. It was on a stand that allowed people to sit in it, like a chair, to have their picture taken.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » October 10th, 2006, 2:16 pm

It is at a large outlet mall in Reading PA. The store is fairly large and sells alot of the commerative balls such as the 9-11 and World Series, All Star.....ect extreamly cheap like 5-10 a ball. They also sell bats and have a display on how the bats are made. I always pick up my gloves there most HOH are about 90-110 a glove, I think the Pro Preferred were on sale last time I was there for 150, but there wernt many good models left to pick from. I have been buying all of my equiptment there since I played Little League about 10 years ago, at that time it was in a different location and was located in basically a warehouse with gloves being in large bins you would sort through till you found the one you were looking for. Next time I get down that way I will take some pics of the glove displays that they have there.
drasher81

Postby mudman » October 10th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Be looking forward to seeing the pix. Sure does sound like a really neat place to visit.
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » November 14th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Yeah, its a pretty cool store. I havent been there in about 2 years though. Do they still have all the player models on that one wall?
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Postby dwknowles » November 16th, 2006, 11:14 pm

I talked to Bob Clevenhagen today about some things I am having him work on for me. He mentioned Rawlings is producing a "throwback" line expected out in May. One of the two gloves will be a 3 finger Musial Play maker, and the other escapes me but it was a model that was used by many pros and Mantle was one. Not sure if this is news to anyone, or if it was well known and I am a late comer to it, but thought I would pass it on.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

throwbacks

Postby softball66 » November 17th, 2006, 3:09 pm

I think Bob told me that the HH was the other. Mays, Mantle, Ashburn all used this top of the line as did its namesake.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » November 20th, 2006, 2:04 pm

It would be nice to see a high quality HH replica made, I think it would be a great glove to use for getting some autographs and not ruining an original. I personally don't like to get vintage gloves signed to me it really doesn't increase the value, I would rather have as shelf new as possible.
drasher81

Postby dwknowles » November 21st, 2006, 12:59 am

Has anyone heard about how much the HH and Musial repros will run. Just trying to budget accordingly.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mudman » November 21st, 2006, 1:11 am

That sure would be nice. The HH is one of my favorites. Does anyone know if they will be made here or over seas?
mudman
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion