Strange looking Goldsmith split finger fielders glove

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Strange looking Goldsmith split finger fielders glove

Postby crackofthebat » April 26th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Recently purchased this split finger Goldsmith glove off eBay. The person selling the glove told me the previous owner was a minor league player for Ashland or Maysville. The glove is horsehide with no model number. The webbing, although completely missing, was very similar to the oven mitts of the late 30's and early 40's. The glove has 23 grommet holes running around the thumb to the top of the index finger. From pieces of the web remaining it was cross laced between the thumb and index finger like a 1B oven mitt. If anybody has seen a web on a split finger fielder's glove like this and has some info as to when it was made I would appreciate hearing from you. I've been collecting gloves for 16 years and have never run across a glove like this.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 26th, 2006, 7:55 pm

What does the stamping say? Does it say "The Snare Model" like some of the later MacGregor Goldsmith gloves?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby crackofthebat » April 27th, 2006, 6:11 am

It does have other stampings like a Goldsmith glove, but from what I can read it looks like Snapper model. I have sent the glove to John Golomb, The Sports Doctor, to replace the lining. When I get it back and clean it up I will describe the stampings.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » April 28th, 2006, 9:38 am

I've discussed this glove with Fred. Can't find anything like it among my Goldsmith gloves. The "Snare" and similar types show that Goldsmith was trying some interesting crosshatch lacing. I had a "Red" Lucas Goldsmith that I thought might be similar but I think it was using replaced lacing (only) and perhaps was a double tunnel or triple tunnel web in its original state.
Joe
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby crackofthebat » May 15th, 2006, 6:38 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the strange looking Goldsmith I had John Golomb, The Sports Doctor, reline for me. I repadded the glove and relaced it. On the heel of the glove at the base of the pinky finger it reads "The Snare Model". In the palm it reads "Inner Processed" , "Goldsmith", and "Horsehide". There is no model number on the glove or player endorsement. I re-laced it using what remained of the web when I bought it as a guide. I would like to know when it was manufactured.

crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » December 5th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I dont know if you did anymore research on this one since it was posted a long time ago, but came across one of these as well and from what I can tell it was in their 1938 catalogue. The Snare model never had a model number issued to it which would explain why it is lacking one. It is definatly a very interesting glove to have in your collection.
drasher81

Thanks!

Postby crackofthebat » December 5th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Thanks! I appreciate you doing some research on the glove and finding when it was manufactured. It certainly is a strange looking glove!
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

what I did find

Postby softball66 » December 6th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Fred, I looked through my Goldsmith catalogs from 1935 to 1942 and didn't find a glove laced like this. What I did find that from about 1938 forward the top-line first base mitts were laced like your glove circling and crossing back and forth. So it looks like Goldsmith designers took this cross/hatch lacing system to its gloves at some point. Perhaps coming to fruition with the snare type glove. Could be that they put this type lacing on its "pro stock" gloves earlier, such as you have.
My Frank McCormick FM has the type of lacing (mostly gone now) that your glove has.
softball66

Goldsmith model

Postby Brennerbaseball » December 13th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Wow, you did a great job cleaning up the mitt and I agree that you relaced it in the most logical manner. I am sure this is how it looked originally. Nice mitt!
Alex Brenner
Brennerbaseball
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: Strange looking Goldsmith split finger fielders glove

Postby mikesglove » March 30th, 2015, 12:04 pm

The trap type lacing looks good on the "Snare" glove above. According to the 1938 Goldsmith ad, it originally had a double tunnel web.
mikesglove

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion