Joe Jackson on Ebay??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby Jerry Ficchi » October 14th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Thank you for posting the photo, Brett. I had no idea how to do it.

Here’s a photo of the D&M G41T Bob Meusal. Go on, run off to your catalog source book and look it up for yourself. I’ll wait. You’ll find G41’s of Wagner and Ruth as well as a G41L of Herzog. There is a G41T from 1926, but it’s unendorsed. Guess that means this one doesn’t exist either or must be a fake. The stampings are better than the Jackson, but then again, the entire glove is in much nicer shape. Does this validate the Jackson? Of course not. It does illustrate, however, the ludicrous primary argument that a glove’s genuineness must be questioned simply because it’s currently unknown to the hobby and/or uncataloged.

By the way, is this the first Meusal found?
Jerry Ficchi

Joe Jackson On Ebay

Postby rdn3rd » October 14th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Good evening everyone.

In the summer of 1969, just home from across the pond, a few dollars in my pocket, I went to a local flea market. There I found and bought an old Reach catcher's mitt. Being a kid of the '50's, I had no experience with vintage equipment and had never see a "Reach" mitt like this one. I was convinced I had bought a rare and valuable relic. A passion for collecting was born. Soon, with experience, I learned that, other than the value of my emotional attachment, my mitt was not particularly valuable and certainly not rare.

Recently I saw a fairly common, unremarkable glove on ebay, which the seller touted as "very rare." I emailed and asked him how he had determined the rarity of his glove. He responded by telling me he had not seen another and asking me, "How many do you see on ebay?" I searched and found none at that time. I suppose that was his window of experience.

A few years ago, a heretofore unknown and uncatalogued Dazzy Vance white D&M glove showed up on ebay. A small group of us tired, old glove collectors began to email and call each other. We were "buzzing" with excitement. A fairly substantial new glove had been found. Vance gloves are not particularly uncommon, but this was a white D&M. There is just something very special about those white sewn web gloves!! Oh, we talked and emailed back and forth, speculating, questioning. Who has it? Where did it come from? Is there any connection between this and the Alexander? Will others surface? One guy volunteered that he thought this was the nicest addition to the hobby since the previously unknown Coveleski. I don't remember any negative speculation. I do remember that there was a bit of a celebration.

About a year ago the Jackson D&M was offered in public auction by a well known dealer. The same group of telephones rang and computer emails got hot. Our collective level of excitement was quite high. Without a doubt, it was the most excited some of us had been over one glove in a good while. We reminded each other that we had always "known" that a Jackson D&M just had to show up. Oh, yes, we questioned and speculated and probably got a bit goofy; and, dare I say that more than one of us referred to it as the current "Holy Grail." Imagine that; how cheeky. But, you know, more than anything we celebrated the fact that it appeared that a great new glove was being introduced, if not to the entire hobby, to this small group of collectors.

Not long ago, I was looking at a vintage baseball card website. Someone excitedly posted a link to an auction with a graded set of rare and very expensive cards. Even to a former card collector, it was quite an impressive and beautiful group. The very first posting in response to this was to negatively point out that he thought the borders were too narrow.

I guess we do see our hobby through different eyes and from different perspectives.
rdn3rd
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 16th, 2006, 8:27 pm

Here's another white D&M glove that doesn't seem too common:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Anyone seen this one before? Sharp looking glove!!!!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Joe Jackson Glove

Postby rdn3rd » October 25th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Joe,
After all has been said and done, you were right. My Joe Jackson glove is a fake. I sent it to Dave Bushing and he deemed it an ink applied name. I am embarassed and want to apologize to anyone who may have been offended.
Glenn
rdn3rd
Rookie Glove Poster

So Sorry Glenn

Postby softball66 » October 25th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Out of the blue Dave Bushing of MEARS had called me about your glove this morning to ask me if I knew anything about it and I told him it had been discussed on this forum in what I thought was a forthright manner. I did not know you had submitted it to MEARS for an appraisal or that Dave had seen it prior to him calling me. As you'd note from my last email concerning you, I called you a conscientous collector.
I told Dave when he asked today what I thought and I told him that I couldn't make much of the signature and stamping from a photo. I had concern that the G24L didn't line up straight with the signature which seemed to slant down. I frankly had never seen the blue stamping on any of the D&Ms I'd looked at. And I had concerns that Jackson's opportunity for having his name on a D&M glove was limited from 1917 to 1920 with the point being that the Alexander, Vance, Meusel and others had a broader opportunity career wise for maybe a missing year in our catalog source book.
Glenn is to be highly commended for making his post. And I know how difficult this must be for him, especially considering the cost of his glove.
Mr. Bushing has seen perhaps as many if not more gloves than I have including all of the faked White Sox gloves of recent times. I'm glad he had the opportunity to examine the glove closely.
Hopefully Glenn can get his money back from his seller. Let's endeavor to help him out in that respect and give him a pat on the back for biting the bullet. :(
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 25th, 2006, 8:10 pm

If you'd like to read Dave Bushing's rationale you can find it at:
http://www.mearsonline.com/

I don't think you need to purchase the subscription to read their Bulletin Board. Has anyone else here ever submitted a glove to MEARS before? His explanation seems adequate but I'd like to know the process they go through to arrive at such a decision. I really enjoyed all of the information that was shared here during our discussion - it was a great education and I hope we have similiar discussions in the future!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion