Stolen..Spalding Crescent

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby vintagebrett » October 3rd, 2006, 8:55 pm

There is always deals to be had on eBay - I'm sure everyone has their favorite story. Last winter I picked up a Spalding Hack Wilson for 17 bucks. My dad picked up a gorgeous Gehrig for 200. Anyone else have any good eBay success stories?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby glove-works » October 3rd, 2006, 10:15 pm

There have been many, but the best one was at Play it again Sports....Garvey DCT-P, paid $14, sold for $900
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

My best find - Ken Wel Zipper Back

Postby burker72 » October 4th, 2006, 6:29 am

My best find was a Ken Wel Catcher's mitt with the zipper-back. I think it is the Muddy Ruehl model they made in the early 30s. The glove is in very good shape and the zipper is fully in tact. Being a northern and western NYer all my life I have a soft spot for Ken Wel gloves, so this was a terrific find.

The glove was $25. The best (or maybe the worst) part of this is that my mother found it at a flea market and called me to see if I wanted the mitt. When I picked up the glove I gave her $25 and then she gave me $4 back. Ever the tough negotiator, my mom talked the woman into selling the mitt for $21.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Lutzke Gloves

Postby burker72 » October 4th, 2006, 6:33 am

While we are talking about great finds and bargains, one observation I have made is that the price on Lutzke style gloves seems to have taken off, or maybe they've always been this high. It just seems that as of late anytime one appears on ebay it is immediately at $200 or more, almost regardless of condition. Not sure we'll find too many of these on sale.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby THELUCKYDOGKIND » October 4th, 2006, 10:14 am

Since the subject is out there I will throw in my two cents. I think there is a big difference between finding a good deal on Ebay like a few years back when I won a J.C. Higgins 1" web glove for $71.00 and it turned out to be a Hans Wagner when I cleaned it up verses emailing a seller selling a crescent pad fielders glove and making them an offer to end their auction early and sell it for a set price which is far less than what the glove is worth. That is just taking advantage of someone who has no idea of the value of the item they are selling which is wrong. I have seen alot of auctions ended early lately on Ebay and it seems this practice is happening far too often. I recently won a D&M Ehmke 3 finger and paid $510 for it on Ebay but I also had to email the seller as soon as I saw the listing to let them know the value and ask them not to end the auction early. The woman told me she had just been offered $200.00 to end it early and sell it and was about to do it before she got my email. Needless to say she was very happy she let the auction run and made $300 more.
The crescent glove in the above auction link would have sold for $600 or more so I hope the seller was offered a far price and not just a few hundred dollars.
THELUCKYDOGKIND
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 4th, 2006, 11:41 am

Yeah, I also get upset when an auction is ended early. Sellers should be clued in that people offering them a certain amount of money are just trying to get a good deal. I have had some interesting offers over the years on items.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » October 4th, 2006, 3:50 pm

My best eBay find was a trio of nice gloves in one auction that I got for $25.

The seller had listed these as a three-day auction which seemed to limit the number of eyeballs that saw them. He also had them listed in a strange category, like maybe "baseball/protective equipment" if I remeber correctly.

The gloves looked kind of dusty in his photos, but all three cleaned up nicely and were in excellent condition.

The three gloves in this auction were:

- OK Mfg. split finger with "Frank Crosetti" endorsement. This dark-brown glove has a beautiful grey leather lining and an unusual "T" shaped web.

- A Denkert catcher's mitt (#M30) with the "Decker Patent" finger protection. This is a "Frank Grube" model.

- An unusual glove that I can recall seeing only one other example of. It is a buckle-back glove with the separate fleece-lined pad underneath the buckle. The fingers are laced in the same style as the Ken-Wel Dazzy Vance gloves. The original laces were white, but a couple were disintergrating so I had to replace them. The cloth label on the back says the brand is "Sports Center". Definitely an odd glove!

All three gloves and I got them for the opening bid of $19 plus $6 for shipping. There were no other bidders. Go figure!

While emailing the seller after the sale he mentioned that these three gloves were going into the trash bin while his uncle was cleaning out his garage. He rescued them thinking that maybe he could get a few bucks for them on eBay..and he did...very few!

Last summer I found a nice Rawlings XPG-3 "Warren Spahn" model at a flea market for five bucks.

Other flea market finds in the past year:

- Wilson A2005, unendorsed, horizontal hinge for $10.

- Wilson A2000 XXC (13" softball size) import, for $5. I relaced this one and am using it as a "player".

- Rawlings HOH PRO-LT "Johnny Bench" catcher's mitt for $15.

Nothing like a good bargain on an old glove!
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

end it early

Postby softball66 » October 4th, 2006, 5:59 pm

the requests to end early do seem to have "picked up" lately. I've had requests to end some of mine early and usually tell the requester in no polite terms what he can do.
Friend of mine got a 3 finger pre war "Jack Russell" glove (gotta be rare) for $2 in garage sale. I sold it for her for $356 I think. Cleaned up nice.
Best lately on eBay for me was a Harry Danning top line Ken Wel c mitt and a Lou Gehrig LG40 35" store bat for $60 after all the culling was done. FRom England where Canadian airmen had left behind the gear with the seller's grandfather. Fred Lowman did masterful job on the name refurbish.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby glove-works » October 4th, 2006, 8:00 pm

THELUCKYDOGKIND wrote:Since the subject is out there I will throw in my two cents. I think there is a big difference between finding a good deal on Ebay like a few years back when I won a J.C. Higgins 1" web glove for $71.00 and it turned out to be a Hans Wagner when I cleaned it up verses emailing a seller selling a crescent pad fielders glove and making them an offer to end their auction early and sell it for a set price which is far less than what the glove is worth. That is just taking advantage of someone who has no idea of the value of the item they are selling which is wrong. I have seen alot of auctions ended early lately on Ebay and it seems this practice is happening far too often. I recently won a D&M Ehmke 3 finger and paid $510 for it on Ebay but I also had to email the seller as soon as I saw the listing to let them know the value and ask them not to end the auction early. The woman told me she had just been offered $200.00 to end it early and sell it and was about to do it before she got my email. Needless to say she was very happy she let the auction run and made $300 more.
The crescent glove in the above auction link would have sold for $600 or more so I hope the seller was offered a far price and not just a few hundred dollars.

I posted this one, as I was sure a number of you who collect the "real early" stuff would be uptight. I sure hope they got more than 51 freakin dollars for it..... :(

I get e-mails all the time, and I am sure most of you who list gloves on a regular basis, do as well. You get some real interesting requests.
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » October 4th, 2006, 8:40 pm

I would like to say to certain members who are being critical that

1. No the glove was not sold for $51.00 it was sold for a substantial price that was agreed upon by the seller, who was not as clueless as everyone seems to think. The seller had several other offers on it which were turned down, before it was sold.
2. Someone who is being very critical also recently emailed me to see if I would in turn sell or trade it to them

I am not trying to be over critical nor do I expect that to occur to me without knowledge of the situation. I value this forum and the hobby itself and I am not one who would practice unscruplous behavior or unsavory practices nor would expect that to happen to me.
My wallet was substantially lighter after this transaction.
drasher81

Postby glove-works » October 4th, 2006, 11:10 pm

I think people are just trying to have open discussion regarding a particular glove that was listed on Ebay....I don't see anyone being over-critical either. Also, no names were mentioned, illustrating the integrity of this great forum.

There are a number of people who frown heavily on asking Ebay sellers to end auctions early......in this case nothing was done against Ebay rules, other than the seller avoiding seller fees for a glove that may have fetched, as someone said $600 or so.

Hope you scored a gem.

BTW, did the other glover made you an attractive offer?
Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » October 4th, 2006, 11:17 pm

The offer that was floated didnt have specifics, just a a blanket offer on the glove to see if I was interested.
The glove is actually a bit rougher than the pictures show, with 2 or three small holes where the leather had worn though. Also it is smaller in size than you would expect being not quite 8x8.
I wouldnt call this a gem but It is a very nice representation of a spalding crescent heel glove
drasher81

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion