Autographs and Gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Autographs and Gloves

Postby bbrah » April 21st, 2008, 2:22 pm

Hi Everyone!

I've got a couple of question that hopefully someone can answer, or at least generate a discussion. I've been thinking about collecting autographs of baseball players on gloves and have wondered what autographs do to the value of gloves. For example, would it be better to get Nolan Ryan's autograph on a Rawlings "Nolan Ryan" endorsed RBG60 or on an unendorsed glove? Would an autograph make a "generic" glove more valuable (percentage wise) than it would on an endorsed model? Also, what about an autograph of a player on a glove endorsed by another player, say Reggie Jackson's autograph on a "Willie Stargell" endorsed glove? Lastly, what can I do to prove the authenticity of an autograph? Should I get a photo of the player actually signing the glove or what?

Just a few thoughts
bbrah
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wbunnell » April 21st, 2008, 4:35 pm

I'm not sure on the glove value. But if you are looking for an alternative to collecting autographs on balls or cards it displays nicely. My son has a glove signed by about half of the Trenton Thunder team from last year, including Joba Chamberlain. They also had Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy on the team but I'd have to check the glove again. I just remember how stoked he was when he met Joba. He has it proudly displayed in his room.
wbunnell
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 21st, 2008, 5:05 pm

I think the autograph would be best on a glove endorsed by the player you are having sign it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Here's how it works for me

Postby softball66 » April 21st, 2008, 5:13 pm

Good points by all. Sometimes a player doesn't have a store model glove and one would still like to get his autograph on a glove, then get an unendorsed model. I did this with Allie Reynolds. You could get former Negro Leaguers or League of their Own Girls to sign unendorsed gloves too.
Probably a good idea to get the autograph on a glove of the endorsed player so everything matches up and this really looks good in my estimation though I some colletors don't prefer this.
And getting a team signature on the glove or a theme of players on a glove is a good idea.
I still love my baseball glove from England and signed by the cast of the Memphis Belle movie.
Most of the gloves I've had signed are the player's own model store gloves.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

autographed gloves

Postby swalt1234 » April 23rd, 2008, 10:28 pm

In the 1990s I had at least 75 gloves signed by the endorser of some nice gloves, mostly from the 1950s; a lot of great players like Simmons, Lumpe, Maz, Colavito, Score, Doerr, etc. I had a blast doing this and still have most of the gloves. Almost without exception though the value of the glove remained the same or even went down, and they are harder to sell. Most collectors will pass especially on gloves with an autograph from one player on another player's glove. Without a photo, buyers are suspicious and often avoid the glove. Only Mantle, even with the risk of forgery, still commands a high price. My advice from my experience is to get the autographs solely for the fun and memories of it (especially for your kids) and forget about increasing value of a possible investment. It's all about the fun!
swalt1234
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby dwknowles » April 24th, 2008, 5:42 pm

I have a Musial SM6, signed by him with a picture of him doing so. I also have a letter of Authentication from his company, and the envelope the letter was mailed in. I have the Box, all the paper work and a ton of advertising for that glove. While having all the extras and the box make that glove a rare one, others could have that as well. Having all that and having it signed is probably more rare. And in a few years it could an impossible thing to match as I hear Stan's health isn't good.

I think you get what you want out of having it, and I never buy anything with the idea of making money off it. If I sell something, I sell it, but in my life anything I ever have bought without at least a little interest in keeping I find myself disappointed in the outcome.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » April 24th, 2008, 7:49 pm

I have two signed gloves. Willie Stargell on his HOH model from the 70's and Mark McGuire signed 'gold glove 1980' on the same model Rawlings glove he used when he won the gold glove. I treasure both gloves and the signatures, but both are gloves that I used for several years so I doubt that potential value is increased. The signatures definitely add value for me.

Unfortunately the sharpie ink tends to spread and fade on glove leather. I can still read Willie's but Mark's did not survive and I have to point out each word to anyone looking at the mitt.

I think that the gold or silver 'paint' markers tend to last but I'd definitely be interested in the experience of others.

I'd love to have Roberto Clemente's signature on a top of the line glove from his era.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

What a Coincidence

Postby softball66 » April 24th, 2008, 8:55 pm

While I'm in favor of getting most gloves signed if you can it can be beneficial and enjoyable for many fans as well. I just completed my sale of a rare Mel Parnell glove on eBay and received this response from him after he got his glove.
"I received the glove yesterday and today Mel Parnell put it on his hand (the one that was wearing his 1949 All Star ring). Being a Youth glove and one that fits on the left hand it wasn't exactly correct, but not many can say Mel, the greatest left handed pitcher in Red Sox history actually "wore" their glove. I had lunch with Mel today, as well as Ralph "Putsy" Caballero (Phillies Whiz Kids), George "Bo" Strickland (Indians Shortstop '54 WS) [he wore the two different model gloves I have for him also], Warren Perkins (played in 1st NBA game ever for the Tri-City Blackhawks (as the NBA), an ex NY Giants Footballer and a bunch of ex-minor league baseball players. They are all in their 80's and get together in New Orleans for lunch every Thursday. Mel is alive and well, though it took him awhile to get back in his home in the Lakeview neighborhood where he had 4 feet of water from Hurricane Katrina. I'll try and send you a photo of Mel directly to your email address.
Barry Hickman
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion