Hello from Massachusetts

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hello from Massachusetts

Postby wjr953 » September 12th, 2006, 3:13 pm

I am a new member on this board. I've been buying older gloves and
relacing/reconditioning them for resale, usually on Ebay. I've been doing this for about two years now. I don't make any money at this, just about enough to pay for my supplies. I have always loved the game of baseball. After playing, coaching, managing and finally umpiring, I got into glove work initially just to get some decent older gloves for my two grandsons. Well, it turned into a hobby that is really a lot of fun for me, giving new life to older gloves. It's just my way of giving something back to the game of baseball. It's nice to be on board, I look forward to talking with everyone.

br
wjr953

Postby vintagebrett » September 12th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Hello!

Thanks for joining. Sounds like you really enjoy what you are doing. There are a lot of people on this board who also enjoy cleaning up gloves - please share your experiences because it's always great to learn a new technique.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby BretMan » September 20th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Hi Bill!

I totally missed this post and didn't realize that you had signed-up for the forum. It was good corresponding with you through emails for the past week and sharing some tips and stories on gloves.

Through all of our discussions, it never came up that you were into umpiring. Me too! I have state certification for high school baseball (NFHS) and also have ASA softball certification.

It's a lot of fun but has one drawback. It takes so much time in the spring, summer and fall that it cuts into my baseball glove searches and restorations!

Bret S.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 20th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Bret,
Yes, my baseball career (so to speak) has seen many sunsets, that's for sure. lol! I played baseball beginning at age 6 (CYO) and ending at age 17 (Colt League). After that, I played men's softball for 4/5 years, quitting just before my oldest son was born. I got into coaching when he turned 5, coaching Tee Ball, Minor League, Little League and then Senior League. All in all, I coached for 14 years. I was coaching Senior League with my youngest son at one of his pre-season scrimmage games and was asked to "help out" on the bases. The plate guy was a member of the association that I ended up joining. He asked me to come to one of their meetings and I signed up that night. My youngest son and I did that together for 6 years. Girls Softball, Little League, Senior League, Babe Ruth League, Senior Babe Ruth League and also some AAU games from time to time. We use to do one game every night of the week, sometimes double-headers on Friday nights, and usually a double or a triple every Sunday. Long, long hot days and nights, but loads of fun. Doing ten games a week during the season was not unusual. The money was decent but the b.s. that went along with it most definitely was not. My knees finally told me that I'd done enough. So, now I fix gloves! lol No kids to deal with, no coaches to listen to and/or toss. Truth be known, I had fun umpiring, but I miss coaching. My 8 year old grandson, and his Mom asked me if I would manage his team next spring, and of course I said yes. What the heck was I thinking! Since you've been balling and striking, I'm sure you have as many war stories (as I do), of crazy things that have happened on the ballfield. I used to tell people about it and they would look at me like I was nuts. The fact of the matter is, you just can't make some of this stuff up, honestly. You know exactly what I mean. I'm still amazed to this day, what some of those so-called managers and coaches DIDN'T know about thet sure if there are many white Ken Wel models out there, I think I've seen one or two on ebay, but thought I would ask. Thanks!±üU4c3583d2ae Russ Rose–Anyone have any info. on a player by the name of Russ Rose?
I picked up a beauty Nokona J121 and have not been able to find any info. on this player.
wjr953

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion