research the player

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

research the player

Postby softball66 » April 21st, 2006, 10:05 am

One of the true joys of glove collecting takes us to the glove's endorsed player. I had bought a group of gloves recently and have been putting them up on eBay. One yet to go is that of Lew Riggs. I have a Riggs glove as part of my Cincy Reds collection. But upon pulling up history on the player discovered that Riggs had played on three very significant World Series teams: the 1934 Cardinals Gas House Gang with "me 'n Paul" Deans, etc. Then he joined Cincinnati and played on that team's first World Championship since 1919 and considered by some the Reds' first legitimate WS win since the '19 series was tainted by the Black Sox scandal. Following his departure from the Reds he latched on with the Brooklyn Dodgers WS team of 1941, the first the Dodgers had won since 1920, I think, and the first of seven pennants in the next decade and a half. Most players over a 10 year career like Riggs never even smell a championship yet Riggs was a participant in four counting the Reds' 1939 WS visit. I'll list another puzzling name in another future post.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 21st, 2006, 5:40 pm

I also enjoy learning interesting tidbits about the players who endorsed the gloves. Last weekend, I picked up a really nice left-handed Rawlings Lonny Frey LF glove. I wanted to put a little blub about his accomplishments and found out that he led the league in stolen bases one season during his career - with 20 or 21!!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » April 25th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Brett -- incidentally I think Lonny is still alive and one of four Cincy Reds 1940 WS champs still around: Bill Werber, Gene Thompson, Eddie Joost.
His son is a lawyer in Seattle and we did a story on Mr. Frey and his Rawlings model glove in an earlier glove newsletter.
Joe
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 25th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Thanks for the additional information, Joe. Like I said, it's always interesting to learn more about the players!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion