Hutch Spahn personal model?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Hutch Spahn personal model?

Postby drasher81 » August 30th, 2006, 4:53 pm

I recently found a glove which I had previously not seen it is a early 50's HUTCH Warren Spahn with a signatue endorsement, and underneath is PERSONAL MODEL. I have several Personal Model Rawlings Spahn gloves but had never seen a HUTCH until this one. The only problem is that the tag is missing from the backstrap other than that it is great with about 90% of the silver remaining in all of the stamping. I will post a pic when I get a chance. If anyone has any information on this one give me a heads up.
drasher81

Postby BretMan » August 30th, 2006, 11:22 pm

I have two Spahn models in my collection. One is the Rawlings XPG3 that I'm sure you're familiar with.

The other is more unusual. It is a Spiegal "American Eagle" branded glove, which is listed as a private label glove in the collecting guide. Unfortunately, this one is in storage right now so I can't post a picture for you to see it.

This glove is well-made with thick, all-leather construction. The unusual aspect about it, besides the "off brand" label, is the unique lacing between the fingers.

The space between each finger has criss-crossing laces runnning up the back of the glove, forming three "X's" from the crotch of the finger up to the fingertips.

The only other glove I've ever seen like this was, in fact, a Hutch model glove. I don't see many of the American Eagle gloves, but several I have seen look identical to other Hutch models. That leads me to belive that Hutch must have made these gloves under contract for American Eagle.

By the way, being in Ohio the various Ohio-based glove companies are special to me. I love to pick up any Hutch, Goldsmith, Macgregor or OK brand gloves I can find.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » August 31st, 2006, 10:47 am

here is a decent pic of the glove
drasher81

Postby drasher81 » August 31st, 2006, 4:11 pm

I am familiar with the Spahn that has distinct lacing on the fingers. I remember seeing one on Ebay at one point that I found pretty interesting. Maybe you were even the high bidder on it. Post war gloves really arnt my favorites but some do stick out and end up in my collection from time to time, usually only if they are very rare or very odd in apperance. I hope the pics help out
drasher81

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion