MLB Giveaway Gloves

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

MLB Giveaway Gloves

Postby BretMan » August 29th, 2006, 2:26 pm

I'm sure that anyone who has spent time in the glove collecting hobby has run across the "giveaway" gloves from the 60's and 70's with the MLB team logos on them. For instance, here is one now on eBay:

MLB Giveaway Glove

Does anyone have any history on these gloves? They look like Rawlings models from that era. I have seen these same gloves with maybe half of the Major League teams, and seem to even remember seeing one with the Seattle Pilots logo.

I've often wondered how impossible it would be to amass the entire set of these gloves.

If anyone knows anything about them, the info would be appreciated.
Last edited by BretMan on September 19th, 2006, 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby dwknowles » August 29th, 2006, 10:33 pm

I just bought a really rough cardinal one the other day at a yard sale down the street for 5 bucks. It has no maker name on it, but does say made in Japan. Model #16101. I don't think it is rawlings but I don't have any 70's models to look at, It has these wierd "Wings" at teh top o fthe pocket that the laces go through to attach it to the glove.
dwknowles
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » August 29th, 2006, 10:56 pm

My impression has always been that these look a lot like the Rawlings "GJ" series gloves that were among some of the first import gloves rawlings made in the 1960's.
BretMan

Postby BretMan » August 30th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Ah, yes...the "little wings" at the top of the webbing. That sounded familiar. Do the laces form an "X" where those wings attach to the glove?

After digging around through eBay auctions (a great palce to find hundreds of pictures of old gloves) I found a Spalding model that looks just like the give away gloves.

Same little wings, same "flex-o-matic" style palm laces, same pocket webbing. Identical in every respect.

But I didn't bookmark the auction and now I can't find it again!
BretMan

Postby BretMan » September 19th, 2006, 10:54 am

Another well-worn speciman surfaces from the Great White North...

Expos Glove
BretMan

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion