Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

rare gloves

Postby david bushing » January 11th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Out of all out present gloves, two rarities in a Stuffy McInnes and a Billy Sullivan but I have not seen a Van Lingle Mungo since I sold the only one I have ever seen in my first ever SCD ad back in the late 1980's . Would love to buy one for my personal collection as it was the first ever glove to sell in one of my ads and the guy who bought it still has it and I see him about once a year at a show and ask him about it. Anybody else have one? Dave
david bushing
Rookie Glove Poster

more on rare gloves

Postby david bushing » January 11th, 2008, 7:50 pm

I can't help going here being a dealer but given the rarity of most of the gloves listed in this thread, is there anybody out there that would wholesale such rarities and given their rarity, they should and eventually will, be worth a whole lot more than they are today. I'd love to see a Coombs hit ebay and see what happens. Everyone of these gloves makes the Honus Wagner T206 look like a 1987 Topps set. Once you sell, you will probably never see one again, period. Someone should compile a list of the 50 rarest pre war gloves known and post so that a total number known could be estimated. My guess is that 90% of the gloves talked about in this thread would have totals of less than 3 known, now that is rare in anybodies book. Dave
david bushing
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby lefty147 » January 11th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Anybody ever heard of a Bill Smith?? Not the guy that played in the fifties, this one is a 1930's buckle back fielders glove and there is no Bill Smith that played in the majors that I could find at that time. mike
lefty147
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 11th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Dave, You are on the same train of thought I was suggesting on a different thread. These unique old timer gloves are so rare that if you let one go it may never resurface for your collection. I have a few of the old timer gloves (many with no endorsements, but still unique) that I believe if I part with them in a trade/sell it will not come back to my collection as I have not seen them on ebay or anywhere else over the years. This one of a kind thing in baseball gloves seems interesting. How many other hobbies do we see a lot of just 1, 2 or 3 of an item. Like you mentioned, how many Honus cards are there and look what they do with it and how it is valued as a rarity.

A gloves uniqueness via endorsement or glove style or web style or combos of all (wouldn't that be a treat), might set it apart from the rest of the herd, I would think. :wink: If you get a list of the rarest of rare someday perhaps JD could put up another category on his sight where people could show the less than 3 have turned up category. Just a thought. Not trying to put more work on JD, but it might be a down the road project to consider.

Dave C
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 11th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Josh, I really enjoy looking at the Reach Model CH, Double Face, full web glove you and your Dad have. It is a very cool glove, endorsed or not. To me, and this is just me, it has neat eye appeal, and a unique character of its own. Great old timer glove. Thanks for sharing and if you ever wish to trade just let me know. LOL I know it is one of your favorites to you guys and you should keep it. :D

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ebbets55 » January 11th, 2008, 9:53 pm

More galleries, more galleries! I love it. Just name it. I can post whatever you guys want. With over 4500 pictures so far, I just hit the 40% capacity level. With wishful thinking, I asked my web host guy what would happen if I hit the capacity. He simply said, "I'll just sell you some more space." Cool.

I like the idea of the Top 50 or Top 100. Let's start putting a list together.

Josh, your double sewn face Reach full web rocks. I have only seen one other.

We need more A2000 pics. Please blow me up. Thanks.

JD
ebbets55

Postby stockbuddy » January 11th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Well, JD, I must say you are a very generous person with your time and energy in this hobby. It seems like it would be cool to see all these old raritys under one header. You know "A League of Their Own" so to speak. 8) Just a thought, and whatever you and the group want to consider, but it might be interesting to place a limit range of 1-3 and then should more than 3 show up you might bump them off that rarist page at sometime and place them in a 3 to 5 page or whatever you think the numbers should be and in whatever way you feel is most workable for you. We would then realize there are more than 3 that does exist as the more that participate in this one the more gloves/mitts might surface. This would keep the group a bit tighter. I guess the number of existing gloves might be a priority criteria. I am just throwing out some thoughts. I am sure others will have good thoughts to consider. Regardless, sounds fun, educational and more work for you. :shock:

JD, you are a gem.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » January 11th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Just re-read that last post and noticec the rarist category might have say 1-3 range and then 4-6-7 or whatever if you even want to do the 2nd range category.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby ebbets55 » January 11th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Dave B. since you seem to be longin' to see another Van Lingle Mungo, here you go. Mine was a Goldsmith. I sold it on eBay in the late 90's. I think I know who still has it. This isn't the same one is it? If not, then we know of two. Notice the high resolution 600 x 600 digital camera technology I had back then. Maybe the poor pictures explain why I got like $18 for it. :wink:

This is the type of stuff I have a thousand of and need to get uploaded.

Thanks Dave C. It is a lot of work but it is very rewarding. I get the nicest e-mails from a lot of you guys. It makes it all worth while. Besides, when I get home from the office and after the kids are in bed, I'm a vegetable. I just sit in front of the T.V. on my laptop and work on the site. I enjoy it. I could have worse habits and hobbies I guess.

JD
ebbets55

double face

Postby Bravosin99 » January 11th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Thank you Jim and Dave for your nice compliments on the double face. I didn't know if it was worthy of posting to this thread because it is not an endorsed glove but it is one of our favorite gloves we own and we have only ever seen the other spalding on ebay.

Thanks again you both have amazing gloves as well, more then I can even begin to comment you on!! If you guys need shelf space send some our way :D lol
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

an idea

Postby softball66 » January 12th, 2008, 9:03 am

Based on JD's suggestion. Why not start with the "catalogued" section in the glove price guide. Some of these we can probably eliminate now. But the catalogs reflect that the glove was made.
I used to put out a piece called the glove price index back in the 1990s that listed the gloves sold by dealers and in SCD that were shown and prices on these. Dave Bushing and I used these when we made our rarity section of the price guide. I may still have the totals on those for each glove.
I stopped when eBay emerged and it became to difficult to capture these.
Glove Mike Egner tried to monitor eBay this way but gave up.
Joe P. :roll:
softball66

the breakdown from the forum so far

Postby softball66 » January 12th, 2008, 10:12 am

Concentrating just on the glove names turned up as onesys or extremely rare are the following: Hans Lobert, Frank Chance, Heinie Wagner, Sherry Magee, Claude Davidson, Dick Cox, Jack Rothrock, Herb Pennock, Stan Coveleski, Sam Rice, Johnny Evers, Earle Combs, Mickey Haslin, Duster Mails, Joe Sparra, Mike Hershberger, Cal McLish, Clydell Castleman, Mike Cverngros, Charles Dressen, Billy Gardner, Gus Wristhstone, Hal Gregg, Al Worthington, Jack Hallett, Allyn Stout, Ray Hayworth, Roy Joiner, Hugh Poland,Jim Bottomley, Willard Hershberger (I have one that makes two we know of), Chuck Connors, Alex Kampouris, Babe Pinelli, Brooks Lawrence, Bob Usher, Clyde Shoun, Clyde Volmer, Estel Crabtree, Heinie Groh, Pete Donohue, Jimmy Gleason, Marty Callahan, Nick Cubbop, Pat Duncan, Paul Derringer (2), Dick West, Red Barrett (2), Ed Konetchy, Nick Urban, Fred Toney, Larry Kopf, Etan Allen, Joe Bush, Fred Lindstrom, Red Lucas (I have one also for 2), Bill McGee, Art Nehf, Al Tyson, Mickey Witek, Charles (Jeff) Tesreau, Stuffy McInnes, Billy Sullivan.
The glove forum members might make a run at these and I'll do a story in the newsletter to see if we can further these efforts.
Meanwhile here are some names not shown above that I got privately from Doug who wanted me to add them to the glove price guide:
Whitey Whitehead, Johnny Gee, Bill Hunnefield, Hugh Poland, Jack Salveston, Andy Cohen, Billy Garnder, Ray Joiner, Jack Hallett. ooops I almost forgot that Jack Russell that I sold on ebay to add.
This, of course, doesns't include the non name but unusual gloves, double face, triple face, unusual webs and colors. Dave Cunningham's got a jump on these so he might compile these.
softball66

more rare gloves

Postby david bushing » January 12th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Joe, you can add bob muesel to the list, have only seen one. Also, there is a guy on Ebay with some pretty scarce Cubs gloves like Riggs Stephenson, George Grantham, Maranville, Heathcote, Bill Lee- all of these are faily tough esp the Riggs. Conditiion on most seems about vg to exc at best. Dave
david bushing
Rookie Glove Poster

Van Lingle Mungo

Postby david bushing » January 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Ebbetts, 18$ is a crime. What can you do. If you know who bought it, I would pay $150 for it or any like example. Thanks, dave
david bushing
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 12th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Hi Joe, I sent JD some glove pics of my gloves that seemed to be unique and not fit the typical "standard or traditional glove or web style" I included my white Dazzy style softball glove( So, with John's I now know of 2 of them) LOL

I have a few web styles that are pretty subtle in difference frm a standard web style, (such as a canoe web style which i consider a variation of a tunnel web) but there may be more than 3 of that style out there. I have sent some pics to JD of the subtle variations but I did not him all of the variations. If he wants it I can get him those pics too.

Being JD's site is set for baseball gloves, it is his call as to whether he wants to even go with softball. It makes no difference to me and I realize our thread is more baseball than anything. Whatever works for the group.

Anyway, JD is welcome to post whatever of my glove pics he wants to on his website if and when he is ready and then we might see how many other new ones or different ones seem to surface. I believe I can point JD towards a small handful of gloves that fit into this very rare and unique category. I have noticed on his JD's website from the gloves that have come, thus far, there might be just a few that fit into the very rare (1-3) category in the pre-war, that I do not have. Between JD, Rob and mine though I believe it is less than a handful of gloves that might fall into this category. It will be intersting to see just what shows up. :D Once glovers see what is located under the very rare header, perhaps they can send glove pics to JD that fit into the very rare category. If too many start showing up, then I suppose that glove will not be as rare as one might have first thought. If the glove remains under the very rare header then that might mean it truely is a very rare glove or for some reason others just have not surfaced (ex. it is in someone's personal collection and they don't know about JD's website or don't care to participate in this venture or the glove is still sitting in someone's attic or basement. LOL

As for mitts, I know Crackofthebat would have a much better handle on what is out there for mitts. I just have not focused on the old timer mitts enough to know what is common and what is very rare. Of course that is up to Fred or whoever wants to do mitts if that is in the picture. I do not own but one softball mitt right now. LOL So, I am sure there are others that should go for mitts category.

Dave
stockbuddy

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion