Can you name one?? One of a kind??

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 9:41 pm

I know it's not a "one of a kind", but there aren't too many Wilson Ruth's out there. I've seen three different examples. Anyone know of any?
Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 10th, 2008, 10:16 pm

Hey Guys this is a fun topic. Good idea Brother Joe!!! :D

While several of my gloves are not endorsed, I have had fun picking up the gloves that I describe as being rarer than hen's teeth. :lol:

I guess that is what appeals to me quite abit when it comes to glove collecting is to think one might have one of one, one of two or let's say even one of 3 of these old gloves/mitts out there that has ever been discovered or revealed as of to date. So, JD's website has been a great place to land the pics and then we get to "see" just what might be out there. I get a :D on my face when I think I might have a glove that, is truely a unique piece of the glove history in some way, be it an endorsement, a web style, glove style, or even a color. That seems to make the hobby fun and just plain cool! It is great when people collect for various reasons, as mentioned above, and even allows for crossover within our own hobby. Some collect for webs, :lol:, some for the maker, some for the players, etc. It all becomes interesting and I believe adds more value to the piece when it has some crossover.

Wow! isn't it interesting how many 1 of a kinds seem to have surfaced. Hope nothing happens to those rare ones. I might get thrown off the thread for saying this but maybe my most unique glove is a White Dazzy Vance style(1922) softball glove that has a buckle back. Very cool old glove and may be a one of a kind. LOL The guy I got if from bought it on ebay yearssssss ago and then he resold it on ebay and I ended up with it. :wink:

Dave
stockbuddy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Pandora's box of gloves

Postby softball66 » January 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm

I knew this was gonna be fun. JD, believe it or not, I have a Jimmy Outlaw that I "swear" has an illustrated palms of Popeye in the pocket. It's in the wrinkles of the leather so it sort of comes and goes.
Here's some of my rare Reds gloves. Some may be onesy, some at least very rare:
Alex Kampouris
Babe Pinelli
Brooks Lawrence
Bob Usher
Clyde Shoun
Clyde Volmer
Estel Crabtree
Heinie Groh D&M
Pete Donohue
Jimmy Gleason
Marty Callahan
Nick Cullop
Pat Duncan
Paul Derringer (lent mine to the Cincy Reds Museum for awhile
Dick West
Red Barrett
Some of these I'm sure that probably 3 or 4 exist as my memory doesn't serve me all that well any more
Centerfield has had some nifty gloves as he says "slip through his fingers." I remember when John Graham turned up the first Johnny Evers and a Sam Crawford too.
Funny how Dubow brand turns up some hard to find gloves like the only USA Jackie Robinson, Don Newcombe, etc.
Of the 1930s era Dave Bushing and i used to have a saying about the rampant commonality of these gloves, with this little saying "Dickey, Ducky (Medwick) and Elmer Riddle. :roll:
softball66

Postby stockbuddy » January 10th, 2008, 10:25 pm

Centerfield,

I love that Combs glove. I have one that looks just like it down to the creases in the leather. It is on JD's website. However, I can not make out any endorsement on it. It has something there that is so faint, I just can not make it out. :cry: JD, and I have looked at it and just can not come up with it. It has the rainey web style and was used on the front cover of my 1st ed. book along with my grandmother's old Pepper Martin Homerun ball from 1933. It is a favorite glove of mine and it is seems to be quite unique. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby stockbuddy » January 10th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Crack of the bat has some wonderful old mitts. Just outstanding. Sometimes I have looked at those basemen's mitts and thought, No I better just stick with the fielder's gloves. :lol: Not enough money or room to go there. Hats off to Fred.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Centerfield » January 10th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Joe, were the Crawford and Evers that I had (photos earlier in the thread) the same ones that John found? Has he been able to get either of them back?
Centerfield
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » January 10th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Just a quick observation. I don’t mind if there are 1, 2 or 10 known models in existence. I think anything under 10 is super rare. Say there are 1,000 true glove collectors out there and 10 models show up. That’s only 1% who have that model. That’s pretty rare. I believe the number of glove collectors is closer to twice that number. So let’s not get upset if another tough model shows up. Let’s embrace it as it is pretty safe to say that there will always be at least 1% of us who will want any given model.

Back to earlier, I believe there are three Wilson Ruths. Doug mentioned a bunch of very rare models he has. His collection is DEEP. Not only does he have a bunch of tough names, but he has them in different brands and different variations. Nicely done Doug.

Fun topic Joe and Dave.

JD
ebbets55

Postby jeneli-john » January 10th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Dave......I have the same Dazzy Vance style white leather softball glove in PRISTINE condition. I will take it with me when I leave this life.

Joe....I have a Paul Derringer and a Red Barrett.

John
jeneli-john
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby stockbuddy » January 10th, 2008, 11:47 pm

John, LOL that is great!!! I love it. So you have the same old softball glove. Well it is nice to be in good company then and I really do consider the one I ended up with to be the focal point of my old softball glove collection. I believe you when you say pristine condition as I think I have seen you sell enough wonderful old gloves over the years on ebay. Some real beauties.

JD, You have some very good points on the ratio of rare gloves to number of collectors. Of course we should collect what we like and like what we collect. I know you like them all :lol: I agree that if there are even just 10 of the same glovesmitts out there and 1 or 2 thousand folks collecting that those 10 will be sucked up quickly. I think we already know what happens to some rare gloves they just don't return back into the glove market. Look at John and that Dazzy style softball glove. :roll: I am glad I ended up with the one I did. :D

Thanks for sharing on this topic guys.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby Studboy » January 11th, 2008, 2:15 am

Here is a couple unlisted I've found:

Ed Konetchy Goldsmith basemans and a Nick Urban Nokona 2-finger glove.
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Fred Toney

Postby Bravosin99 » January 11th, 2008, 2:31 am

Dad and I have a Fred Toney D&M 1" web. The only other one we have seen or heard of is the one that sold a little while back on ebay with the torn web. The endorsement is hard to see in the pictures on Jim's site but the Toney is defintely legible.

http://baseballglovecollector.com/galle ... t+Josh.jpg
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

more

Postby Bravosin99 » January 11th, 2008, 2:43 am

Now that I think about it I would also consider our Reach Model CH, Double Face, full web pretty rare even though it isn't an endorsed glove...I have only ever seen one other double face being a spalding that was on ebay a while back.

I believe our Pat Duncan full web is listed as rare also...

Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Stimulating

Postby softball66 » January 11th, 2008, 9:15 am

Well, this put a little zinger in the ol' Glove Forum!
Centerfield, John G. got an Evers again but is looking for a Crawford. Not sure of the brand on the Evers.
John congrats on having your Paul Derringer. I'd not heard of another one existing. The Barrett also.
I thought of another I have and V. Brett may have one, it's a Bubba Phillips Sonnett and my good friend Howard Singer was desperate for one for his White Sox collection. He would ask every so often if I wanted to sell. But since my old nickname was Bubba, I had to hold on to it. Finally Howard got another one, I think through EBay.
Anyone see a Mantle G90 Rawlings? I had one of these early on and lost it or "had it stolen" in an incident involving the Mantles. :roll:
softball66

Postby rosajr » January 11th, 2008, 9:20 am

I spoke with Joe a couple of years ago about a Goldsmith XL model that I have which has a strong first name endorsement of Larry but the second name is faint but I do believe to be Kopf. I would need a Goldsmith 1918-1919 catalog to be sure since around 1920-21 the XL is a Carl Mays. I also have a Macgregor Goldsmith Earl Torgeson EM model Baseman's mitt (not a trapper or snare) that I haven't seen before.
rosajr
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby nygiants » January 11th, 2008, 11:37 am

I have a Goldsmith Ethan Allen. I think another sold on ebay a few years back. Also, a unknown children's model Joe Bush which Robbie Leonhardi has a beautiful D&M full web on JD's site. I have a damaged Rawlings Art Fletcher which another beautiful almost pristine is listed on JD's site. I have Spalding model 106 Frankie Frisch that is black (rare color). A Spalding Freddy Lindstrom, Goldsmith Red Lucas, Ken-Wel 542 Bill McGee, D&M Art Nehf, Ken-Wel Al Tyson and unknown Mickey Witek.

And my most prized gloves are the Charles (Jeff) Tesreau gloves (Goldsmith RL & Cashman's Athletic Goods bucklebacks).

All NY Giants.

Doug
nygiants
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion