Wilson A2K 1787?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Wilson A2K 1787?

Postby CWiebe » August 19th, 2006, 12:16 am

I found this glove on Wilson's website. I am interested in purchasing it, but for $280 I would like to know what the quality is like. Do any of you have experience with this series of gloves?

Thanks!
CWiebe
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby 502 to Right » August 22nd, 2006, 12:17 am

I don't own one but I've handled one at my local sporting goods store. In my opinion--save your money. The leather is nothing special. It is similar to the Rawlings Pro Preferred leather. It seemed soft and not very well formed. A complete rip off if you ask me. There was absolutely nothing about the glove that was special. If you gave me the choice of taking an A2K glove or an A2000 of the same pattern, I'd take the A2000 every time (price not even considered). I've also owned Mizuno Pro Limited's and Rawlings Heart of the Hides so you know where I'm coming from.

If you absolutely love the color scheme and have the spare dough, you could drop $280 on an A2K. But outside of that, I'd stay away.

While I'm going off, I'll add that it seems to me the major glove companies are putting products out there that are a joke in price. Rawlings is going to be producing a $400 glove made of "Italian Leather." Give me a break.

In my opinion the best gloves made today for durability, ability to form to your hand, and price, are the Wilson A2000 and Rawlings Heart of the Hide.
502 to Right
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » August 23rd, 2006, 4:01 am

I actually just bought one. I personally think it came too soft, but the quality is exceptional. $279 worth, well maybe not, but it is a very well made glove. Im not a huge fan of the shape, but I guess if you like the 1787 pattern, the leather is much better than the a2000, a3000, and a2000 kip's. The lining is very nice on them too. However, I bought mine at a 30% off sale on Eastbay in July. I currently have been using a Pro Preferred PROS17ICB and Mizuno Pro Limited GMP6 and I would take either of those over the A2K.
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Postby CWiebe » August 25th, 2006, 12:11 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm still not sure what I will do, none of the sporting goods stores in my area have any gloves worth over $50. If I bought one I'd probably have to get one through the internet without trying it on.
CWiebe
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby 502 to Right » August 25th, 2006, 10:31 pm

HrKing - What is it you like about the Mizuno GMP series? Are they pretty stiff to start with? Will they form to your hand? I have a GMP4 on the way that I'm looking forward to playing with. As I mentioned above, I'm usually a HOH man, but the traditional look of the all tan GMP has pulled me in.
502 to Right
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby CWiebe » August 26th, 2006, 11:53 pm

Do any of you know of a chain of stores that has professional quality gloves?
CWiebe
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby 502 to Right » August 27th, 2006, 2:53 pm

CWiebe - I don't know of any chain stores that consistently sell high end gloves (i.e., Sports Authority, Dunhams, Dicks). Even when they do it's usually at ridiculous prices.

But, what I would recommend is going to ballgloves.com (it's Don Morton Sporting Goods). Pick out something you think you like, and they will take it back if you don't like it with no restocking fee. You'll have to pay for the shipping fees but they only charge $6 to send it to you so it's pretty cheap.

I've been getting gloves from ballgloves.com for the last 6 years and I've never had a problem sending a glove back (so long as you don't remove the tags and play with it). If you have questions, give them a call and they'll be happy to answer--they're good people.
502 to Right
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Hrking4675 » August 28th, 2006, 3:05 am

Yeah, Ballgloves.com is great. Ive been ordering for 3 years and they will often give their returning customers a good % off once and a while. I got my exo from there for 300 even.
Hrking4675
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion