Any Wilson A2000 experts?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby Thudhugger » February 29th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Bretman, Have you got Earl's Number or address? I have a couple of Wilson's that need new linings.

Thud
Thudhugger
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » February 29th, 2008, 4:36 pm

In this thread look down page one....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 1st, 2008, 9:49 am

Does Mr. Monroe happen to have any information/documents related to the Sonnett plant in Ada? I would be most interested if he does. Thanks.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

A2000

Postby cjkelley1 » March 1st, 2008, 4:13 pm

Hello,I assume the last question was about Earl Malone .If so in 1950 Fred Bowman was named President of Wilson and with the increased activity in baseball,football and basketball epuipment Wilson purchased in 1955 the Ohio-Kentucky Manufacturing Company ,Ada Ohio.As manufacturers of Sonnett and O-K lines ,this purchase provided far greater potential sales volume.Hope that helps.
cjkelley1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 1st, 2008, 4:15 pm

Yes, I meant Malone - sorry.

Thanks for the little tidbit. I know from looking at many Sonnett/Wilson gloves over the years, they shared endorsements but I was wondering if they ever shared design ideas?
vintagebrett
Site Admin

A2000

Postby cjkelley1 » March 12th, 2008, 7:17 pm

I discussed this with Earl and he doesn't believe that there were any shared design ideas.
cjkelley1
Rookie Glove Poster

Unusual A2000 xlc in Oil Taned Leather

Postby GloveGypsy » March 26th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Here is something that I have had in my posession for 4 or 5 years. It is an oil tanned Wilson a2000 xlc USA model and the leather is "wet" and sweet. I have never seen any thing like this before or since and am proud to own it.

This glove is provocative and beautiful.

If anyone has any knowledge or comments about this glove, please fire away!

Last edited by GloveGypsy on April 8th, 2008, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mrh64 » March 26th, 2008, 11:16 pm

That is an absolute work of art. I grew up in the mid 70's with an A2000 XLO so I have a real appreciation for a glove that is as fantastic as yours. too bad its For the wrong hand. Ha Ha
mrh64
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » April 4th, 2008, 10:54 am

Can anyone give me any insight on the letter designations for the A2000's.
I know of three, XL, XLO, and XXC. I'm sure that there are more designations than that, but those are the ones of which I'm certain. I'm trying to figure out what they mean. I have an idea that it describes the size and style of the glove, but.......,

Also, while on the topic of A2000's, I have read the contact information listed on the forum for Mr. Earl Malone. I have two A2000's that need life support badly! Should I call him first or just send the gloves to him. Anyone have anything to offer in the way of input on that?

Thanks everyone,

br
wjr953

A2000

Postby cjkelley1 » April 4th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Hello,I just talked to Earl Malone a few minutes ago and he said just to give him a call at 1-740-533-0622 about any repairs and he can answer any of your questions.
cjkelley1
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » April 4th, 2008, 12:36 pm

Thanks, I will do that. I appreciate your help.

br
wjr953

Japanese A2000's

Postby Turning643s » April 4th, 2008, 4:01 pm

I know most of you who grew up with the old USA A2's love them more, but my first serious glove was an early 90's Japan A2000 XLC. I never had the chance to slip on a good old, made in the USA version, but still, mine is FANTASTIC. I think the leather is great! This is kind of how and why I got mine. I was a huge Greg Maddux and Cal Ripken fan back in the early 90's and I wanted to use their gloves. Greg used the A2 and Ripken the HOH Rawlings Pro. My dad, who always wanted an A2000 when he was a kid, surprised me my first Christmas after my first season in little league with a brand new A2. I played a lot more middle infield back then, so I saved up my own money to by a Rawlings HOH, but I still used the A2 for outfield and when I pitched. Man back then that A2000 seemed to be a monster when I slid it on my hand. Then when I made the High School team, I ended up pitching a lot more than playing up the middle, so my A2 once again became my go to glove. Now I play softball and the A2 is my one and only gamer at this point, it's the only glove I pull out to get the job done. That thing eats up softballs, much like it ate up baseballs. I have taken great care of my glove over the years and still have not had to make one single repair to it, just good cleaning and making sure no one else ever tries to use it. That thing is an exact mold of my left hand. So, all I can say is, even when they were making them overseas, they were still amazing gloves that will last a lifetime when cared for. If the Japan A2's were considered a lower grade, I can't even imagine the USA version's, they must be absolute treasures!
Turning643s
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby oldreliable » April 4th, 2008, 7:37 pm

Hi Turning643s,

I have an A2000 from the early '70s or so, and it is an exact mold of my hand on the inside of the glove, too. It's amazing. I love that. I bought the glove about two years ago on eBay, and I must say that it is definitely the best purchase I made in the last decade.

The lining is like wrought iron crossed with butter. It is almost mythical in my mind.

I played catch with it for an hour yesterday. My arm is hanging by a thread today, but the glove performed beautifully.

As far as the made-in-Japan A2000s, I bought one when I was living in Japan--I didn't have one there. The glove is very nice, but the lining isn't leather. I'm not sure what it is. It's like plywood versus mahogany. Overall, the glove is very nice, excellent stitching, very nice on the dual welting, but I'm not sure the leather is what it was decades ago. It says Pro Stock, but still.... The glove is made specifically for high-school baseball players, so maybe they scrimp on the quality of the lining.

I know a few people who rave about the XLC model. I'd like to try one.

Thanks,

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby space50 » April 7th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Earl Malone is THE guy for Wilson glove repair. He has done several repairs for me including reconditioning my 62' A2. He was not responsible for the design of the A2000 but was working at the Wilson plant at the time. I asked him if he thought the A2000 was really special or would change the way ballgloves were made forever when they first started rolling off the line. He said no, it was just another glove to him.
space50
Rookie Glove Poster

A2000 background

Postby softball66 » April 8th, 2008, 11:23 am

Wilson glove designer Ted Javor got most of the credit for designing the A2000. I have an article discussing this and can photocopy it. I also can make a copy of the A2000 background / history we ran in our newsletter. If interested in these, just contact me via the forum.
The A2000 guys have their fans and rightly so.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion