Any Wilson A2000 experts?

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Postby Mike_2007 » April 8th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Turning643s » April 9th, 2008, 5:09 pm

One other request I have is if you are going to do a book and you work in conjunction with Wilson on the project, get plenty of classic shots of the various gloves over the years to really show the progression of the glove. I know when the All Star game was played here in Dallas back in the 90's, the MLB had a fan weekend with all types of stuff to do. My father worked at the event that weekend and he said Wilson had an exhibit set up for themselves and they were highlighting the A2000. They had on display an original used Willie Mays A2000. So maybe they have some history info and vintage pics already, something that just needs to be detailed to make into a book. It'd be great to have a coffee table style book, large with some great shots of players with their gloves and just the gloves themselves, etc. Then throw in some great history on the glove too. I think that would sell really well, at least in my opinion.
Turning643s
Rookie Glove Poster

Re:

Postby 65Strad » March 13th, 2013, 11:48 pm

MVALZ wrote:How about a group shot? I'm for a new thread on A2000's pics. I'll start one in the Pictures section. Part of my USA collection :wink:

Great group shot! Curious MVALZ, that A2000 XLO appears to be a Japan model. I have one just like it. I love the leather on that glove, curious if it is the "Ansonia?" leather that was used in the USA models. Somone told me that the early JAPAN models used the USA leather. No idea if that is true or not. Anyone know?

Do you know the date/year of your XLO pictured? Thanks for posting those gems.

Tom
65Strad
Rookie Glove Poster

Re: A2000

Postby mikesglove » December 5th, 2015, 1:25 am

cjkelley1 wrote:I just talked to Earl Malone and he said the pro stock gloves made in the 50's and 60's would have a number followed by CL (chicago) or IR (Ironton).Although there are gloves out there with numbers that don't have letters following it.With the line being under the Made in USA(meaning made in Ironton) we thought there might not be a need for the letters following the numbers.So gloves made in Chicago would not have a line under the Made in USA .So that may be why some pro model numbers don't have a CL or IR after it.For instance the Ted Williams glove 449CL would be a Chicago pro glove.And the small Wilson glove posted with the numbers 1168 was a Glen Becket pro glove.Hope that answers your question.

Here is a photo of Ray Schalk with his personal model mitt compared to the "Paul Richards" knuckle ball mitt. I think the "Richards" model number was 1045CL. The photo is from 1960 when Richards ordered three mitts from Wilson at $300 a pop. Richards was a manager at the time and ordered the mitts to help his catchers gather in knuckle ball pitcher, Hoyt Wilhelm. Richards ordered two 42" models and one 45". The one shown in the photo is the 45" model used by Clint Courtney in 1960.

The mitts were eventually outlawed and the maximum circumference put at 38" in 1965. The mitt below is a later issue pro-stock knuckle ball 37" version. It is model 1139 with the "Made in USA" underlined to indicate manufactured at the Wilson Ironton plant.

mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Any Wilson A2000 experts?

Postby mikesglove » February 3rd, 2024, 1:39 pm

A mid 1960's Wilson Shooting Star model 1168 glove sold for $74. The glove features a round Wilson logo patch, revamped wrist strap and heel lacing, but otherwise looks like the 1957-58 A2000 models. Apparently a pro issue glove. As you can see, it's in super condition.

Here is the glove compared to Brett's model 1168 glove on the right.
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion