Glove Related Question From eBay

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

Glove Related Question From eBay

Postby BretMan » August 11th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Every once in awhile, a question will pop-up about vintage gloves on the eBay "Sports Memorabilia" discussion boards.

A recent poster there asked for identification on a glove and posted a few pictures.

I thought that the folks on this board might be interested in the discussion. In researching the glove, I found some interesting information that just might fill-in some missing gaps in the history of Americam-made baseball gloves.

Check out the link:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa? ... 2003335588
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

right on button

Postby softball66 » August 13th, 2006, 10:50 am

This is "off brand" manufacturing 101 and very helpful. Fungo has either borrowed from me or at least knows as much about the Sears and Wards manufacturing and private label glove marketing as I do.
Yes, this is good reading.
Some of this might be in the glove catalog source book. I'll take a look.
Joe
softball66

Postby BretMan » August 14th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Both "Fungo" and myself will usually field any glove questions on the eBay discussion boards. We seem to be the only two glove collectors that ever post there! If something stumps me over there, I send the poster to some of the "expert" sources on the 'net. I have even referred a couple of them to you!

And, yes, much of the information I pass along comes from my copy (or copies) of "The Vintage Baseball Glove Catalog Sourcebook", "The Glove Collector Newsletter" and the associated reference materials.

Of course, a lot of my advice also comes from years of glove collecting and sifting through hundreds of eBay glove auctions on a near-daily basis!

I could find no documented connection between Franklin and Trojan brand gloves, but looking at the glove from eBay leads me to believe that these gloves were definitely made by the same source.
BretMan

One never knows enough

Postby softball66 » August 14th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Right! just when you think you've seen it all, here comes another one. I learned this saying quite early. Now, I just say, I know more about gloves than anyone in my block...maybe. There are lot's of variables, foibles, errors, etc. in the glove world. Franklin was a block letter name company only until maybe in the last 20 years, they shifted more to signature endorsements and had one big flap with Rawlings over Don Mattingly endorsement. Makes sense that the Franklin connection and could well be.
Some of the distributor brands kind of shifted from one true manufacturer to another, probably depending on the pricing.
You learn first hand from seeing as many gloves as you can and something new or strange always pops up.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion