kill the messenger

Anything related to gloves (pre-1970) you can post here.

kill the messenger

Postby softball66 » August 8th, 2006, 10:12 am

Check out ebay Babe Ruth glove item #230015622030.
Several glove collectors had pointed this suspicious glove out to me. It has personal autograph and stamped autograph. Seller admitted that the personal autograph might not be real.
We looked at the glove picture and, unfortunately, the stamping also looks "created." As many of you know, we've just run articles in our newsletter and in "Sports Collectors Digest" concerning faked stamped signature and this one had the earmarks of post stamping. Another concern with the personal autograph is that it appears that the glove was made after Ruth died. (laced fingers).
When the seller was contacted with our concerns, he protested of course and said that he had collectors look at the glove, etc. I stayed with the reasons that it might no be original stamping and asked for model numbers, make, model, etc., he never responded except to warn me not to run the glove in my newsletter. After a few more backs and forths (I can provide you the entire dialogue) and after having four additional veteran glove collectors look at the glove with the same conclusions, he removed the glove from eBay and lit into me for "treating him like dirt." "Who's going to pay for my premium auction. Who's going to take care of the $400 I paid for this glove." No "thank yous" for sparing him and an unsuspecting buyer.
It's often hard to get sellers to bite the bullet and it's usually "Kill the Messenger."
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 8th, 2006, 11:05 am

I did see this glove and was going to post it here on the forum. It definitely did not look like the era of a Ruth glove and the stamping was too bold in my opinion - it definitely looked eeriely similar to the ones we saw last summer!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 12th, 2006, 8:16 am

This item is back up as item #230017829346
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mjkm90 » August 12th, 2006, 9:40 am

That looks like a fake stamping. I emailed the seller about model # and manufacturer.
Mike H.
mjkm90
Veteran Glove Poster

What a Guy!

Postby softball66 » August 13th, 2006, 10:35 am

I think I'm the "expert" that this poor fellow (seller) is talking about. Yes, it might possible date to 1948 probably at the earliest which is what I emailed him but that's right on the bubble for the personal autograph.
He's already labled me, "Rag Joe" and won't email any more. He's mad, I guess, about spending $400 on something he didn't know much about.
Why don't you guys email him with questions and doubts. He says he doesn't see any stamping on the glove. His bidder, I suppose, could also be emailed as to concerns. Don Millington is also going to shake his cage a little bit.
Thanks!
Joe
softball66

Postby vintagebrett » August 13th, 2006, 1:34 pm

My dad commented that the signature looks a lot like the stampings from one of his H&B bats. I'm not the familiar with Ruth gloves but do most of them have his entire name? I though the Reach and Spalding ones just said Babe Ruth.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

right again

Postby softball66 » August 13th, 2006, 7:36 pm

The Spalding and Reachs were just "Babe" Ruth sigs. H&B used the George Herman Ruth. Good point. I don't remember what was stamped on the 60s Babe Ruth advisory staff gloves of Spalding. Spalding would have jumped out any company that encroached on the name.
I think this is a whole package of phony stamping and phony name and somebody's gonna get stuck with this glove after this person sells it.
softball66

Return to Vintage Glove Discussion